Registered Aboriginal Parties

Registered Aboriginal Parties (RAPs) are organisations that hold decision-making responsibilities under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 for protecting Aboriginal cultural heritage in a specified geographical area.

Who are the Registered Aboriginal Parties?

The Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council determines which applicants will be registered as RAPs. There are currently 10 RAPs in Victoria, listed in alphabetical order below:

These RAPs currently cover approximately 60% of Victoria.

Recent registrations

Registration of Bunurong Land Council Aboriginal Corporation.docx Registration of Bunurong Land Council Aboriginal CorporationDOC (1.61 MB)

Special Administration

On 14 September 2017, the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations placed the Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation under Special Administration under the Commonwealth Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.

The period of special administration will extend until 15 January 2018.

Consequences of a RAP being placed under Special Administration Consequences of a RAP being placed under Special AdministrationDOC (99.5 KB)

For further information on the role of RAPs and consequences of a RAP being placed under Special Administration, see  Aboriginal Heritage Management - Guides, Forms and Practice Notes

Online map tool

The location of each RAP can be viewed by using the Online map tool. Select the Layers button on the toolbar above the map and then select the checkbox next to Appointed RAPs.

Statewide map of RAPs Statewide map of RAPsPDF (11.02 MB)

Please note this is a high resolution map and may take some time to download.

How Registered Aboriginal Parties fit into the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006

The Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 (the Act) recognises Aboriginal people as the primary guardians, keepers and knowledge holders of Aboriginal cultural heritage.

What do RAPs do?

At a local level RAPs are the voice of Aboriginal people in the management and protection of Aboriginal cultural heritage in Victoria. RAPs provide a wide range of services to the wider community.

RAPs have responsibilities under the Act relating to the management of Aboriginal cultural heritage, including:

To learn more on the tasks performed by RAPs, read the:

The role of Registered Aboriginal Parties The role of Registered Aboriginal PartiesDOC (201.53 KB)

Are you interested in becoming a Registered Aboriginal Party (RAP)?

You can make an application via the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council.

You can also check applications currently before Council or applications declined or withdrawn.

Read the information sheet on How to become a Registered Aboriginal Party.
How to become a Registered Aboriginal PartyDOC (201.28 KB)

Heritage fees and penalties

The Aboriginal Heritage Regulations 2007 Act prescribe fees and penalties payable to Registered Aboriginal Parties for their responsibilities for protecting Aboriginal cultural heritage.