About UsOn this page
Vic.gov.au is the official Victorian Government website for Victorians. It provides information and services, bringing them all together in one place.
Vic.gov.au uses Google Site Search. Users can also browse via the footer.
You can access vic.gov.au on the web or on your mobile device. Due to responsive design, when vic.gov.au is accessed via a mobile device, users will experience a mobile only version.
Connect to information and services about Victoria.
data.vic.gov.au is your online access point to Victorian Government public sector information.You can search or browse to a variety of datasets in different formats, then you can download the information you need.
We also manage a range of websites and applications designed specifically for the Victorian Public Service. These internal tools provide the Victorian Public Service with easy access to secure collaboration spaces and improved information flow across Victorian Government.
Editorial Policy and Guidelines
Editorial Policy and Guidelines - Version 1, June 2014 (Word, 156KB)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Versions 8 and above
- Google Chrome
Problems may be experienced with early versions of Internet Explorer that do not support web standards for Cascading Style Sheets. Upgrading to a later browser version should solve these problems.
- Latest version of Internet Explorer
- Latest version of Firefox
- Latest version of Google Chrome
- Latest version of Safari
Supported screen resolutions
The portal has been designed using responsive design. It will resize according to what device you access this site from.
Reading PDF documents
On occasion, a web page link on vic.gov.au will lead you to an Adobe PDF document. Documents created in PDF (Portable Document Format) need the Adobe PDF Reader to be viewed. If this Reader is not already installed on your computer, you can get it, for free, by clicking on the image below.
Victorian Government Directory
The Victorian Government Directory is a guide to the structure, organisations and key people in the Victorian Government. Information in the directory is grouped under the four key arms of government: the Governor of Victoria, Departments and other Bodies, Victorian Parliament, and Courts and Tribunals.
Within each group, the information is structured as follows:
- Governor of Victoria - Contains details for the Office of the Governor of Victoria, including key staff.
- Departments and Other Bodies - Victorian Government departments and independent statutory bodies are at the first level of the directory. Associated with each department are Ministers, Parliamentary Secretaries and key staff. Within each department/statutory body there are divisions, branches and related sub-organisations. Where possible, services associated with each department/statutory body are provided.
- Victorian Parliament - Within the Victorian Parliament section there are the Cabinet, Shadow Cabinet, listings of Members of Parliament, Parliamentary Departments and Parliamentary Committees.
- Courts and Tribunals - The Courts and Tribunals group contains entries for the Children's Court of Victoria, the Coroners Court of Victoria, the County Court of Victoria, the Magistrates' Court of Victoria, the Supreme Court of Victoria, Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal, and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
In addition to contact details and functional descriptions, entries for these organisations also contain contact details for key staff and metropolitan and regional office locations.
Victorian Government Directory- mobile version
Access the authoritative Victorian Government Directory ory on your mobile device, and you will be automatically redirected to a mobile version of the site.
- Easy access to people, services and organisations while you're out and about
- Quick dial phone numbers
- Simple navigation and directions with Google Maps
- Ability to bookmark the site for frequent visiting
- iPhone and Android optimisation
The Victorian Government Directory is not a list of all Victorian Government public servants: it lists only senior staff information provided by government agencies as well as Members of Parliament and their various roles.
The Latest News items generally relate to government information of interest to Victorians, particularly relating to topical matters, current communications campaigns and government related (or sponsored) events.
To have your news item listed on vic.gov.au, please contact the Web Manager via our feedback form.
The Events Calendar lists a range of events throughout Victoria.
The Events Calendar is available to download as iCal. You can download public holidays, school terms or a filtered search (Category, Local Council or Region).
The VicEvents mobile app is a free Android, iPhone and iPad application than can help you find all types of events within Victoria.
You can suggest an event by completing the online Suggest an Event form. We reserve the right to not publish all events.
2012 - Finalist, 2012 Excellence in eGovernment - Service Delivery, VicEvents Mobile App
2010 - Winner, 2010 Australian Web Awards - Government, National - Victorian Government Contacts & Services Directory
2010 - Winner, 2010 Australian Web Awards - Government, East Coast Region - Victorian Government Contacts & Services Directory
2010 - Finalist, 2010 Australian Web Awards - Government, East Coast Region - Victorian Government Contacts & Services Directory
2005 - Winner, Sir Rupert Hamer Records Management Awards - Inner Budget Agency, Victoria Online Thesaurus Development
The Victoria Online Thesaurus was developed to improve information discovery within the vic.gov.au search facility. It is a subject based natural language tool providing high level descriptors for government. The thesaurus is being used to ensure consistency of language in cataloguing government websites and to assist users in narrowing their search result. The thesaurus is publicly available at the vic.gov.au blog - Victoria Online Thesaurus.
Publications and media
- DSDBI Publications
- Department of State Development, Business and Innovation corporate-wide publications and links to other publications pages.
- Media Releases
- State Government of Victoria media releases.
vic.gov.au welcomes your comments, queries and feedback. The preferred method of contact is by the vic.gov.au Feedback Form.
Alternatively, you can Contact Us by mail or telephone.