As part of the vic.gov.au redevelopment, a new logo was required for many reasons. The current brand ‘Victoria Online’ was not meaningful to our users. No-one searched for the site using these words and we also felt that we should capitalise on our government domain name – which often appears in our search terms when users want to get to our site. Our current logo and branding was largely unknown and outdated.
So we got a new logo designed. We wanted it to be modern, unique, fresh and reflect the professional nature of our website and the services offered. Our brief to the designers had the following requirements:
- represent the State of Victoria and the Government’s information and services;
- reflect the professional nature of the website and services offered;
- represent the all-encompassing nature of the website and how it connects to a broad range of information and services relating to the state;
- be modern, unique and fresh;
- form the foundations for the website design in terms of shapes, colours, style etc.;
- display flexibility in its shape and format;
- be clear and display flexibility in scale; and
- be easily applied to online and offline material.
Four logos were designed and we asked for feedback from a variety of people. All logos received both positive and negative feedback and this feedback was very useful towards making a final decision. In the end though our choice was clear.
We absolutely love it!