Support services

It's normal to have strong reactions after being involved in or witnessing a distressing or frightening event, but there are many things you can do to cope with and recover from trauma. You can find out more about recovery from trauma, including help for children, at the Better Health Channel.

Read more about Trauma - reaction and recovery

Where to get help

General telephone counselling services

Promoting personal recovery in the months afterwards

In this YouTube video Clinical and Consultant Psychologist David Younger talks about looking after yourself following the Bourke St tragedy.

Promoting personal recovery Promoting personal recovery PDF (75.59 KB)


Recognising & supporting affected staff

Clinical and Consultant Psychologist David Younger talks about how to recognise and support affected staff after the Bourke St tragedy.

Recognising and supporting affected staff Recognising and supporting affected staff PDF (75.24 KB)


Government agencies

Victims Support Agency

The Victims Support Agency has been the primary agency responsible for providing support to people affected by this incident. We encourage anyone impacted by this tragic event to call the Victim Support Helpline: 1800 819 817.

The Victims Support Agency will link you to the most appropriate counselling, rehabilitation, legal and financial support services.

Call 1800 819 817
Open: 8am to 11pm, 7 days a week
Text: 0427 767 891
Email: vsa@justice.vic.gov.au

Transport Accident Commission (TAC)

The first thing you need to do is lodge a claim with the TAC. It doesn't matter whose fault the accident was, the TAC is here to help you recover from your injuries and get your life back on track after an accident.

Find information on who can claim, how to claim with the TAC and how the TAC can help you if you've been in an accident.

WorkSafe Victoria

Are you an injured worker? Follow the worker journey to find out how to make a claim and what you can do to get back to work quicker.

Are you an employer? Follow the employer journey to find out what to do if one of your workers gets injured, and how you can help them return to work.

Visit the WorkSafe Victoria website.

This page was: