The Victorian Government values and celebrates diversity. It affirms the right to equality, fairness and decency for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Gender Diverse, and Intersex (LGBTI) Victorians and is committed to removing discrimination from Victorian laws, services and society.
The LGBTI Taskforce provides advice to the Minister for Equality.
The Victorian Government is committed to ensuring policy, programs and services are inclusive of LGBTI communities.
LGBTI Community Grants Program
The Victorian Government is pleased to announce the 2017/18 round of the LGBTI Community Grants Program.
LGBTI Community Grants Program 2017/18
The 2017/18 grant round will be open for expressions of interest 19 October - 13 November. Click here for more information about how to apply.
Wear It Purple Day - 25 August 2017
Wear it Purple day aims to foster safe and accepting environments for young people who identify as LGBTI or live within rainbow families.
IDAHOBIT Reception 2017
On 15 May 2017 Her Excellency the Honourable Linda Dessau AC, Governor of Victoria welcomed over 900 guests from diverse LGBTI and ally communities to Government House to mark the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersex and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT). This prestigious event was the first time that Government House has opened its doors to honour our diverse LGBTI communities on such a large scale. Guests of all ages, backgrounds and identities travelled from across Victoria to attend the reception. Learn more about the IDAHOBIT Reception at Government House.
LGBTI Community Grants Program 2016/17
The Victorian Government is supporting 38 community organisations and individuals improve the health, wellbeing and resilience of the LGBTI community. Read about the grant recipients for 2016-17.
LGBTI Equality Roadshow
The LGBTI Equality Roadshow will be on the road to regional and rural communities across Victoria from March 2017.
Out of the Closets, Into the Streets
This project documents the very beginning of the Gay Liberation Movement in Melbourne. Visit the Culture Victoria website.
Long standing LGBTI advocate Jude Munro will take the reigns as Chair of the Board for Australia's first Pride Centre. Read the media release.
DPC LGBTI Inclusion Plan 2016-17
The Department of Premier and Cabinet has launched the LGBTI Inclusion Plan 2016-17. The plan outlines the Department's commitment to fostering a safe and inclusive work environment for all employees. Download the LGBTI Inclusion Plan 2016-17.
Same-sex and gender diverse couples can now apply to adopt in Victoria
On 1 September 2016 the Adoption Amendment (Adoption by Same-Sex Couples) Act 2015 comes into effect. It means lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) couples can adopt under the same circumstances as any other couple. For more information on the adoption process visit www.dhs.vic.gov.au/adoption or contact your local Adoption and Permanent Care team. Download the Fact Sheet.
Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Amendment Bill 2016
This Bill will be introduced in Parliament 18 August 2016 and removes the need for applicants to have undergone sex affirmation surgery before being able to apply for a new birth certificate. Read the media release.
Inclusive Language Guide
The Department of Premier and Cabinet has developed an Inclusive Language Guide to provide guidance to the Victorian Public Sector regarding appropriate language. Download the Inclusive Language Guide.
Message from Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality on Orlando shooting
"The shooting at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando during the early hours of Sunday morning is a shocking and heartbreaking tragedy. The 49 reported killed and 53 wounded were LGBTI community members and allies."
Read the full statement here.
Find out more about Orlando.
Righting the Wrong - State Apology, Parliament of Victoria
On Tuesday 24 May at 2pm, the Victorian Government delivered a formal State apology in Parliament. The Government apologised to those convicted under unjust and prejudiced laws that criminalised homosexual acts.
- 2 October 2017 - Game-Changing Project To Combat Homophobia
- 22 September 2017 - LGBTI Services To Expand In Response To High Demand
- 20 September 2017 - Yes To Support For Multicultural LGBTI Victorians
- 9 August 2017 - Support For LGBTI Family Violence Specialist Services
- 16 June 2017 - More Support To Create An Inclusive Victoria
- 15 June 2017 - Mental Health Support As Damaging Plebiscite Still Looms
- 3 April 2017 - More Support For LGBTI Organisations Across Victoria
- 17 March 2017 - Pride Centre Coming To St Kilda
- 13 March 2017 - LGBTI Equality Roadshow Hits The Highways
- 8 March 2017 - Council For Women’s Equality To Forge Bold Approach For Change
- 17 December 2016 - Supporting LGBTI Students In Victorian Schools
- 28 November 2016 - Digital Exhibitions Celebrate Victoria's LGBTI Communities
- 13 November 2016 - Board Announced To Deliver Australia's First Pride Centre
- 2 November 2016 - First Ever LGBTI Equality Roadshow Kicks Off In The Mallee
- 7 October 2016 - Victoria Calls For Blood Donation Review To End Discrimination Against Gay And Bisexual Men
- 3 October 2016 - Supporting Culturally Diverse LGBTI Victorians
- 15 September 2016 - Supporting LGBTI Communities Leading Up To The Plebiscite
- 1 September 2016 - Historic Day for Victoria: Adoption Equality Starts Now
- 26 August 2016 - More Support For Our LGBTI Youth On Wear It Purple Day
- 18 August 2016 - Birth Certificates To Reflect True Identity
- 8 June 2016 - Rainbow Guide Another First For LGBTI Equality
- 24 May 2016 - State Apology to Those Convicted Under Unjust Laws Against Homosexual Acts - Premier's Speech
- 24 May 2016 - Victoria First In Nation To Right The Wrong
- 27 April 2016 - Victoria Continues To Lead The Nation On Equality
- 15 March 2016 - Grants To Support Culturally Diverse LGBTI Victorians
- 31 January 2016 - Righting The Wrong: Date Set For Historic State Apology
- 13 November 2015 - Andrews Government Delivers Adoption Equality – While The Coalition Votes To Continue Discrimination Against Same-Sex Families
- 6 October 2015 - Adoption Equality For Children Of Same-Sex Couples
- 8 September 2015 - Trans Advocate Brenda Appleton To Head LGBTI Taskforce
- 15 July 2015 - Rowena Allen Is Victoria's First Gender And Sexuality Commissioner
Ro Allen, Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality
Ro is Victoria's first Gender and Sexuality Commissioner. Ro has over 20 years' experience in community services, governance, social justice and LGBTI advocacy. Ro was the former Chair of the Victorian Adult, Community and Further Education Board and a commissioner on the Victorian Skills Commission.
As founding CEO of UnitingCare Cutting Edge, Ro established Victoria's first rural support group for LGBTI young people and a state wide network facilitated through the Youth Affairs Council of Victoria for training and workers support.
Ro is the former Deputy Chair of the Hume Regional Development Australia Committee and former Chair of Communities for Children in Shepparton. Ro was appointed to the first Victorian LGBTI Ministerial Advisory Committee in 2001, chaired the second and served on the third Committee concluding in 2014. Ro was a member and later co-chaired the National Working Party for GLBTI Social Reform established from 2011 to 2013.
Ro is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and was recognised for community service in receiving a Centenary Medal in 2003. In 2009, Ro was inducted into the Victorian Government Honour Role for Women.