About the LGBTI Taskforce
An LGBTI Taskforce was established in 2015 to provide advice to the Minister for Equality. The role of the Taskforce is also to identify government priorities and ensure policy, programs and services are inclusive of LGBTI communities.
Brenda Appleton, a leading activist for the trans and gender-diverse communities, is co-chair of the Taskforce with Minister Foley. The other members are:
- Anna Brown - Director of Advocacy and Strategic Litigation, Human Rights Law Centre, Convener Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby.
- Jamie Gardiner - long-time human rights activist, former member of the Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission, Vice-President of Liberty Victoria and board member of the Human Rights Law Centre.
- Ruth McNair - General Practitioner and Honorary Associate Professor, Department of General Practice, University of Melbourne.
- Deputy Secretaries from the Departments of Premier and Cabinet, Justice and Regulation, and Health and Human Services.
The Taskforce is supported by a Health and Human Services Working Group and a Justice Working Group. Read more about these Groups.
Meeting 3: 2 April 2016
The third meeting of the LGBTI Taskforce was held on 2 April 2016. Read the communique of the meeting outcomes:
- LGBTI Taskforce Communiqué April 2016 (PDF, 2 pages, 141KB) (This document requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- LGBTI Taskforce Communiqué April 2016 - accessible version (Word, 2 pages, 72KB)
Meeting 2: 17 December 2015
The second meeting of the LGBTI Taskforce was held on 17 December 2015. Read the communique of the meeting outcomes:
- LGBTI Taskforce Communiqué December 2015 (PDF, 1 page, 124KB) (This document requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- LGBTI Taskforce Communiqué December 2015 - accessible version (Word, 1 page, 70KB)
Meeting 1: 22 September 2015
The Government's LGBTI Taskforce held its first meeting on 22 September 2015. Read the communique of the meeting outcomes:
- LGBTI Taskforce Communiqué Sept 2015 (PDF, 2 pages, 227KB) (This document requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- LGBTI Taskforce Communiqué Sept 2015 - accessible version (Word, 2 pages, 71KB)
You can also watch the Minister discussing the first meeting with Brenda Appleton.
Transcript: LGBTI Taskforce Meeting 1 (Word 24kb)