The Victorian Senior of the Year Awards recognise and celebrate the contributions and talents of senior Victorians.
Minister for Disability, Ageing and Carers Luke Donnellan recently put the call out for people to celebrate older Victorians who support others in their communities.
“The Victorian Senior of the Year Awards is our opportunity to celebrate the invaluable contributions senior Victorians make to our state,” said Minister Donnellan.
For more than 20 years these awards have celebrated the efforts of older Victorians, but this year’s awards hold special meaning with many seniors still going above and beyond during what has been a challenging 12 months.
“It is more important than ever to thank these incredible seniors for sharing their skills, experience and time with the community,” Minister Donnellan said.
Victorians are encouraged to nominate a deserving person to ensure the outstanding contributions of Victoria’s seniors are recognised.
Previous recipients include Souria Youssef, a volunteer with the Southern Migrant and Refugee Centre and the Coptic Orthodox Church who supported isolated Arabic speaking residents in aged care facilities, the church and her community. And the late Alan Moore, a World War 2 veteran who for 34 years volunteered as a handyman at an aged care home and was a stalwart at his local op shop.
Award categories include:
- Premier’s Award for Victorian Senior of the Year for outstanding achievement
- Promotion of Multiculturalism Award for promoting the benefits of cultural diversity
- Healthy and Active Living Award for helping to create active and healthy communities
- Veteran Community Award for exceptional contribution to the veteran community – and open to all who work with the veteran community (not only veterans themselves)
- Ageing Well Award for combatting ageism and promoting ageing well initiatives
- COTA Victorian Senior Achiever Awards for significant contribution to local communities and Victoria.
Every nominee will receive a certificate acknowledging their contributions, while award recipients will be honoured at Government House at the Victorian Seniors Festival this October.
Eligibility, selection criteria and how to nominate
Nominations close Friday 9 July 2021.
Reviewed 23 June 2021