The Coastcare Victoria Community Grants program supports community organisations to protect and enhance the coastal and near-shore marine environment.
The 2021 grants program is funded by the Victorian Government’s Sustainability Fund and the Victorian Great Outdoors Initiative, which seek to build community capacity, support community adaptation and improve ecosystem resilience to climate change.
The 2021 Grants Program aims to support the three pillars in the Coastcare Victoria Strategy 2021–2026:
- Marine and Coastal Stewardship – conservation, rehabilitation, restoration and preventative actions for Victoria’s coastal and marine ecosystems.
- Thriving Marine and Coastal Community Groups and Networks – supporting community organisations to diversify, plan for the future and be responsive to change.
- Victorians Valuing the Coast – supporting community participation, engagement and education to enhance community knowledge and understanding of coastal and marine management.
The following community groups and organisations with a focus on marine and coastal environs are eligible for funding:
- Coastcare Victoria groups
- Aboriginal groups and organisations, land councils, trusts and co-operatives working on-country
- Landcare groups
- ‘Friends of’ groups
- Field naturalist groups
- Coastal Committees of Management
- Non-government community organisations
- Community service organisations and clubs
- Educational institutions including schools and universities (recommended to partner with local coastal volunteer group).
To be eligible for funding applicants must be:
- an incorporated association registered through Consumer Affairs Victoria or be incorporated through an umbrella group such as Landcare Victoria Inc. or
- registered as a not-for-profit organisation with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) or
- coastal Committee of Management incorporated under the Crown Land (Reserves) Act 1978
- hold sufficient insurance to safeguard volunteers and participants involved in the funded activities, including public liability insurance of at least $10 million and personal accident insurance.
Groups and networks that do not meet the above requirements can still apply for funding but must operate under the auspices of a sponsor organisation. You will be required to supply written approval (such as supporting letter) from your auspice (sponsor) as part of your application.
The Victorian government is providing funding up to $647,000 for the 2021 Coastcare Victoria Community Grants program.
This year, there are two types of grants available:
- Small grants of up to $5,000.
- Large grants from $5,000 up to $30,000 for larger projects.
Projects will fit into one of three streams on offer including:
- Stewardship and Education
- Strengthening our Volunteer Groups
- Supporting Traditional Owner Self-Determination
Milestone Date Applications open
Wednesday 12 May 2021
Applications close 5pm on Wednesday 23 June 2021 Successful applicants notified Late August 2021 Agreements signed (milestone 1) and payments made September 2021 Job Safety Plan due (milestone 2) December 2021 Final report due (milestone 3) and project completed June 2022 (short projects), June 2023 (long projects)
Reviewed 17 May 2021