Slowing the spread of coronavirus

Announcements about new measures and restrictions in Victoria.

10pm, 27 March 2020

New quarantine and self-isolation measures for travellers returning to Victoria

Following agreement by the National Cabinet, all travellers returning from overseas to Victoria will be placed in enforced quarantine for a self-isolation period of 14-days.

This requirement will be in place for anyone arriving in Victoria from 11:59pm on Saturday March 28, 2020. 

Each person will also be supported with self-isolation care packages of food and other essentials.

Travellers are required to quarantine in the Australian state they arrive in, irrespective of where they live. 

While Victoria has seen some community transmission of this virus, most cases to date have been the result of travellers returning from overseas who then pass it onto their close contacts.

This is another measure that will help slow the spread of coronavirus in Victoria.

Guidance on non-essential closures due to coronavirus

7am, 26 March 2020

To combat the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), the Victorian Government is further extending the list of non-essential business activity that will be shut down or restricted across the state.

This action is in line with the latest advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer.

From 12:01am Thursday 26 March 2020, the following activities will need to cease.

Cafes and food courts         

All cafes and food courts must stop providing table service, but may continue to offer delivery and takeaway.

Cafes and canteens may continue to operate at:

  • hospitals
  • care homes or schools
  • prisons
  • military bases
  • workplaces, though only as a takeaway service

Food services for the homeless can continue without restriction.

Retail and commercial premises

The following business activities must stop now:

  • auction houses - they can continue to conduct sales remotely
  • real estate auctions and open house inspections - except for private inspections by appointment
  • non-food markets - whether indoor or outdoor - and non-food stalls at mixed-purpose markets
  • beauty and personal care services where there is close contact for a prolonged period, including:
    • beauty therapy, spray-tanning, waxing and nail salons
    • tattoo and piercing parlours
    • spas and massage parlours


Food markets may continue to trade, ensuring no more than 1 person for every 4 square metres of space.

Hairdressers, barber shops and hair salons may continue to operate, ensuring no more than 1 person for every 4 square metres of space.

Allied health services, such as physiotherapy and podiatry, are not required to close.

Entertainment venues

The following entertainment venues where groups of people may come in close contact for extended periods must close:

  • cinemas and theatres
  • nightclubs
  • casinos, gaming or gambling venues
  • adult entertainment premises, such as strip clubs, brothels and sex-on-premises venues
  • concert venues
  • arenas, auditoriums and stadiums where performances are held - except where a small group (no more than 10 people) performs to an online audience via live-streaming or similar technology
  • amusement parks and arcades
  • children’s play centres - both indoor and outdoor.

Community and recreation centres

These venues must close:

  • health clubs, fitness centres, yoga, barre and spin facilities
  • social sporting-based activities
  • swimming pools - both public and shared
  • saunas, bathhouses and wellness centres
  • community and recreation centres


Community and recreation centres may remain open for the purposes of hosting essential voluntary or public services, such as food banks or homeless services.

Boot camps and personal training services can continue only if they are:

  • outdoor 
  • with a maximum of 10 people at any one session
  • ensuring no more than 1 person for every 4 square metres of space

Outdoor recreation

Caravan and camping parks must close, except:

  • where the accommodation is for the purposes of respite for victims of family violence, other vulnerable groups or for care purposes
  • where people live there permanently or as an interim abode where the primary residence is not available

Non-residential institutions

These venues must close:

  • zoos, petting zoos, aquariums and wildlife parks, except for the maintenance, care or rescue of animals
  • museums, national institutions and historic sites
  • galleries, libraries, toy libraries
  • non-essential local government facilities and services, such as libraries and pools
  • community centres, youth centres and community facilities (such as community halls, clubs, RSLs, PCYCs)


Community centres and facilities may remain open for the purposes of hosting essential voluntary or public services, such as food banks or homeless services.

Places of worship

All places of worship must close, except for the conduct of weddings and funerals in accordance with the following guidelines:

  • Weddings may be held in places of worship (or other venues), but only with the couple, celebrant and maximum of 2 witnesses in attendance.
  • Funerals may be held in places of worship, funeral parlours or other venues, with a maximum of 10 mourners in attendance.

Previously announced restrictions

These restrictions are in addition to previously announced restrictions on:

  • pubs, bars, clubs or nightclubs except for bottle shops
  • hotels, whether licensed or unlicensed, except for accommodation, takeaway meals or meal delivery services
  • gyms
  • indoor sporting venues
  • casinos
  • entertainment venues
  • restaurants and cafes, except for takeaway meals or a meal delivery service
  • places of worship, other than for the purposes of a wedding or funeral that complies with density restrictions

This action is unprecedented but imperative to ensure the safety of our state.

Without it, more Victorians will contract the virus, overwhelming our hospitals and putting more lives at risk.

Further information

Read the Deputy Chief Health Officer's latest direction.

The latest health advice can be found on the Department of Health and Human Services website.

For further information about what this means for your business or workplace, please see the Business Victoria website or email

Premier’s previous statements

Reviewed 27 March 2020

Was this page helpful?