Education Week is an annual celebration of education in Victoria, and this year it’s from Sunday 14 to Saturday 20 May 2023.
It’s an opportunity for early childhood services to celebrate with their children and families, and to share what makes your service great.
This year’s theme ‘Active Learners: Move, Make, Motivate’ focuses on some of the amazing ways children learn through physical activity and hands-on-learning.
Ways to celebrate
Education Week activities
Early childcare services and kindergartens are invited to use these resources and ideas to celebrate Education Week.
Birds in the Bush reading with Aunty Fay
Watch this short video of Aunty Fay reading from her book Birds in the Bush, which children in three-year-old kindergarten received in this year’s Kinder Kit.
Explore NGV activity sheets and games for kids available for free download. Print to use, screenshot on your device and mark-up digitally, or simply take the idea and use paper and pen.
- To access resources: NGV
Challenge children, colleagues and families to get active or do some play-based learning by:
- encouraging parents and carers to make use of the materials in this year’s Kinder Kits including seeds, story cubes and wild dough to see what the children produce or talk about.
- host a balloon keepy-uppy team championship
- learn a dance or game featured on the Get Active website
- set up a scavenger hunt at your service.
Communicate with your education community
Early childhood services are encouraged to use Education Week as an opportunity to communicate with families about the benefits of enrolling their children in three and four-year old kindergarten.
Digital media ideas
You can use the draft newsletter text below to communicate with families about how your early childhood service is celebrating Education Week.
This year, Education Week runs from Sunday 14 to Saturday 20 May. The theme Active Learners: Move, Make, Motivate celebrates the many ways children learn, through physical activity and play-based learning.
Education Week is an opportunity for our kindergarten / early childhood service to celebrate and share with you how we encourage children to be active learners.
Our kindergarten / early childhood service is proud to encourage active learners through [insert information about programs and activities that your service wishes to highlight].
[Service name] will be celebrating Education Week by [insert information here about activities you are hosting for Education Week or how you will be demonstrating the theme Active Learners: Move, Make, Motivate] To find out more, visit the Education Week 2023 website.
Education Week is an opportunity to share what makes your early childhood service great! You can share examples of how your early childhood service encourages active learning by:
- holding an open morning or special activity for families that features physical activity or play-based learning
- using the hashtag #EdWeekVic when posting on social media and tagging @VicGovDE on Twitter, @earlychildhoodvic on Instagram and @Department of Education and Training, Victoria on LinkedIn.
You can use the social media tile in this celebration kit and the sample posts below to share what your service is doing to celebrate Education Week and how you encourage active learners year-round.
You can change these posts to suit your early childhood service’s communication style.
Draft social posts:
- Happy Education Week! We’re celebrating the theme Active Learners: Move, Make, Motivate by [add example of excursion or activity children are taking part in] #EdWeekVic
- This is how we learn through play at [your early childhood service name] We’re proud to encourage active learners by [add an example of how children learn via physical activity, play-based learning] #EdWeekVic
- This year’s Education Week theme is Active Learners: Move, Make, Motivate which celebrates physical activity and play-based learning. Our children are celebrating by [add an example of an activity students are participating in] #EdWeekVic
Reviewed 01 May 2023