The Victorian Government values and celebrates diversity. It affirms the right to equality, fairness and decency for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Gender Diverse, and Intersex (LGBTI) Victorians and is committed to removing discrimination from Victorian laws, services and society.
The LGBTI Taskforce provides advice to the Minister for Equality.
The Victorian Government is committed to ensuring policy, programs and services are inclusive of LGBTI communities.
LGBTI Community Grants Program
The LGBTI Community Grants Program has been established to foster the further develop a sustainable and skilled LGBTI sector.
Pride Events and Festivals Fund 2018/19
The Pride Events and Festivals Fund is one of many ways the Victorian Government is supporting LGBTI communities. The fund was established for LGBTI events in Victoria and is intended to promote LGBTI arts and culture, celebrate diversity and acceptance, and build resilience against LGBTI discrimination.
LGBTI Community Grants Program
The 2018/19 grant round will be open for expressions of interest later in the year. Click here for more information about how to apply.
Victorian Pride Centre
The Victorian Government unveiled the winning design for the Victorian Pride Centre.
Better Together 2018
Better Together 2018 was a two-day national conference held at the Melbourne Town Hall in Victoria, Australia from 12 to 13 January 2018. The conference explored current issues facing the LGBTIQ movement, bringing together voices from women’s rights, indigenous rights, disability, the Deaf community, and multicultural and faith groups.
DPC LGBTI Inclusion Plan 2017-2018
The Department of Premier and Cabinet has launched the LGBTI Inclusion Plan 2017-2018. The plan outlines the Department's commitment to fostering a safe and inclusive work environment for all employees. Download the LGBTI Inclusion Plan 2017-2018.
Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey
The Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey was a national survey that gauged support for legalising same-sex marriage.
LGBTI Equality Roadshow
The LGBTI Equality Roadshow visited 23 towns across Victoria to promote diversity and inclusion. For many towns, it was the first time multiple local services, agencies and LGBTI community members came together.
Same-sex and gender diverse couples can now apply to adopt in Victoria
On 1 September 2016 the Adoption Amendment (Adoption by Same-Sex Couples) Act 2015 comes into effect. It means lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) couples can adopt under the same circumstances as any other couple. For more information on the adoption process visit services.dhhs.vic.gov.au/adoption or contact your local Adoption and Permanent Care team..
Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Amendment Bill 2016
This Bill will be introduced in Parliament 18 August 2016 and removes the need for applicants to have undergone sex affirmation surgery before being able to apply for a new birth certificate. Read the media release.
Inclusive Language Guide
The Department of Premier and Cabinet has developed an Inclusive Language Guide to provide guidance to the Victorian Public Sector regarding appropriate language. Download the Inclusive Language Guide.
Righting the Wrong - State Apology, Parliament of Victoria
On Tuesday 24 May at 2pm, the Victorian Government delivered a formal State apology in Parliament. The Government apologised to those convicted under unjust and prejudiced laws that criminalised homosexual acts.
- 17 July 2018 - HEY Grants Open For LGBTIQ Youth Projects
- 1 May 2018 - Proud strong: more support for LGBTI Victorians
- 18 April 2018 - Pride, Strength, Inclusion: New Victorian LGBTI Grants
- 1 April 2018 - PrEP Listing to Protect More Victorians from HIV
- 22 February 2018 - Victoria’s Next Generation Of LGBTI Leaders
- 30 January 2018 - More Support for LGBTIQ+ Youth
- 28 January 2018 - A March For Equality, A Centre For Pride
- 11 January 2018 - LGBTI Taskforce Supports A More Inclusive Victoria
- 1 December 2017 - Eliminating Stigma in HIV Treatment
- 2 October 2017 - Game-Changing Project To Combat Homophobia
- 22 September 2017 - LGBTI Services To Expand In Response To High Demand
- 20 September 2017 - Yes To Support For Multicultural LGBTI Victorians
- 9 August 2017 - Support For LGBTI Family Violence Specialist Services
- 16 June 2017 - More Support To Create An Inclusive Victoria
- 15 June 2017 - Mental Health Support As Damaging Plebiscite Still Looms
- 3 April 2017 - More Support For LGBTI Organisations Across Victoria
- 17 March 2017 - Pride Centre Coming To St Kilda
- 13 March 2017 - LGBTI Equality Roadshow Hits The Highways
- 8 March 2017 - Council For Women’s Equality To Forge Bold Approach For Change
- 17 December 2016 - Supporting LGBTI Students In Victorian Schools
- 28 November 2016 - Digital Exhibitions Celebrate Victoria's LGBTI Communities
- 13 November 2016 - Board Announced To Deliver Australia's First Pride Centre
- 2 November 2016 - First Ever LGBTI Equality Roadshow Kicks Off In The Mallee
- 7 October 2016 - Victoria Calls For Blood Donation Review To End Discrimination Against Gay And Bisexual Men
- 3 October 2016 - Supporting Culturally Diverse LGBTI Victorians
- 15 September 2016 - Supporting LGBTI Communities Leading Up To The Plebiscite
- 1 September 2016 - Historic Day for Victoria: Adoption Equality Starts Now
- 26 August 2016 - More Support For Our LGBTI Youth On Wear It Purple Day
- 18 August 2016 - Birth Certificates To Reflect True Identity
- 8 June 2016 - Rainbow Guide Another First For LGBTI Equality
- 24 May 2016 - State Apology to Those Convicted Under Unjust Laws Against Homosexual Acts - Premier's Speech
- 24 May 2016 - Victoria First In Nation To Right The Wrong
- 27 April 2016 - Victoria Continues To Lead The Nation On Equality
- 15 March 2016 - Grants To Support Culturally Diverse LGBTI Victorians
- 31 January 2016 - Righting The Wrong: Date Set For Historic State Apology
- 13 November 2015 - Andrews Government Delivers Adoption Equality – While The Coalition Votes To Continue Discrimination Against Same-Sex Families
- 6 October 2015 - Adoption Equality For Children Of Same-Sex Couples
- 8 September 2015 - Trans Advocate Brenda Appleton To Head LGBTI Taskforce
- 15 July 2015 - Rowena Allen Is Victoria's First Gender And Sexuality Commissioner
Ro Allen, Commissioner for Gender and Sexuality
Ro is Victoria's first Gender and Sexuality Commissioner. Ro has over 20 years' experience in community services, governance, social justice and LGBTI advocacy. Ro was the former Chair of the Victorian Adult, Community and Further Education Board and a commissioner on the Victorian Skills Commission.
As founding CEO of UnitingCare Cutting Edge, Ro established Victoria's first rural support group for LGBTI young people and a state wide network facilitated through the Youth Affairs Council of Victoria for training and workers support.
Ro is the former Deputy Chair of the Hume Regional Development Australia Committee and former Chair of Communities for Children in Shepparton. Ro was appointed to the first Victorian LGBTI Ministerial Advisory Committee in 2001, chaired the second and served on the third Committee concluding in 2014. Ro was a member and later co-chaired the National Working Party for GLBTI Social Reform established from 2011 to 2013.
Ro is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and was recognised for community service in receiving a Centenary Medal in 2003. In 2009, Ro was inducted into the Victorian Government Honour Role for Women.