It's a good idea to add an Event page, enter all the mandatory information and save it before you start entering body content and cards and links.
Save your content page regularly to avoid losing work because of Content Management System timeouts.
Event pages can be created in 2 ways:
Roll over Content and then roll over Add content and click on Event
- Click Content, click the +Add content button and click on Event
Parts of the Event page are mandatory and are indicated with a red asterisk*.
Enter a unique, SEO-focused event title. This will display as the page title in the live website. Your title can be a maximum of 70 characters (stop at 80 characters remaining).
You can add an image to your event. This image will appear on the Card Event tile if you're promoting the event across the website.
Image dimensions: 818px wide x 496px high
This is the meta description text that is shown on Google search results.
- Aim for 10-15 words (or a maximum of 150 characters, including spaces)
- Make it meaningful: don’t just copy and paste the first sentence from the content. It needs to describe the content of the page using keywords that will help people find it.
- Use Google Trends to see what keywords people are using most in searches.
- Be specific: if the page is about an application, service, form, or process, specify which one and what it does.
Use this to tell people about your event. Remember to keep it short, interesting and highlight any key activities or features.
Topics and tags
Without topics and tags you can't automatically display your events on your landing and content pages. It also helps users to discover events in search results. The topics and tags lists are controlled by Content Administrators.
Choose the most applicable topic from the following list:
- Arts, culture and heritage
- Sport and recreation
- Science and technology
Choose 1 to 3 of the most applicable tags:
- Aboriginal Victorians
- Not for profit groups
- People with disability
- Older Victorians
- Parents and carers
- Victims of crime and victim survivors
- Under 18s
Site type and background colour
Site: you must tick vic.gov.au as well as the name of your subsite
Primary site: click vic.gov.au unless it's a semi-independent site, then click that option (eg Buying for Victoria).
Background colour: white is used for most pages. Pages with lots of navigation links, such as home pages, use grey.
Add your Body content in the Body field. You could use this field to add more details about scheduled activities.
- Paste as plain text (Shift+Ctrl+V) to paste in your content. This removes the formatting applied by Word or other programs.
- Use the icons and dropdowns on the WYSIWYG (=What You See Is What You Get) editor to format your content.
- Add an image using the Media icon at a maximum of 818px wide.
You'll need to add a Start date and End date as mandatory.
There's also option to add a Start time and End time.
Fields are all mandatory here.
Price and Price to
If there's a price range for a ticketed event, you'll need to include a Price and Price to amount.
However, if your event is free, you'll need to add this to the Price field.
You can add multiple items to your event including:
- Free admission
- Accessible venue
- Online event
You can add more than one requirement by selecting Add another item.
CTA which clearly calls out how someone can RSVP or book a ticket for the event.
You can add a category to your event from a predefined list, including:
- Art and exhibitions
- Business training and networking
- Community events and fundraisers
- Festivals and major events
- Film and cinema
- Food and drink
- History and heritage
- Markets and shopping
- School holiday activities
- Sport and outdoor
- Talks and workshops
- Theatre and shows
You can add an audience to your event from a predefined list, including:
- Not for profit organisations
Always have social sharing on unless you have permission for an exception from the administrators.
Promote your event
Reviewed 16 January 2019