This complaints function exists primarily to ensure that if a registered agency’s complaints management system is not operating as intended and in accordance with the Housing Act 1983 (Vic) (Housing Act) and gazetted Performance Standards, tenants and prospective tenants can escalate unresolved rental housing matters to the Registrar of Housing Agencies.
This function gives the Registrar of Housing Agencies oversight of complaints management in the community housing sector and, importantly, provides protection to tenants and prospective tenants.
Performance Standards represent the minimum standard of operation required of registered agencies while registered under the provisions of the Housing Act.
Tenant and Housing Services Performance Standard
The Tenant and Housing Services Performance Standard is one of seven standards that registered agencies are required to comply with.
Key performance criteria under this standard require that a registered agency be fair, transparent and responsive in delivering housing assistance to tenants, residents and other clients in relation to:
- determining and managing eligibility, allocation and termination of housing assistance
- determining and managing rents
- setting and meeting relevant housing service standards;
- supporting tenant and resident engagement
- facilitating access to support for social housing applicants and tenants with complex needs
- managing and addressing complaints and appeals relating to the provision of housing services
- maintaining satisfaction with the overall quality of housing services
Please follow the links below to access information on the most common matters the Housing Registrar is asked about:
- Information about . This includes:
- information about a registered agency’s compliance against each of the Performance Standards
- an executive summary on the outcomes of a registered agency’s annual compliance assessment
- a Residential Rental Provider Report providing information about how a registered agency has performed against a selection of key performance measures with a comparison of a registered agency’s performance against its corresponding tier, either as a housing association or housing provider)
Reviewed 26 February 2021