Organisations must satisfy the registration requirements in the Act to obtain registration in Victoria. These requirements include that the applicant must be a non-profit body and be established for the purpose of delivering affordable rental housing to people on low incomes.
The Registrar registered four new housing providers in 2021-22:
- Evolve Housing (Vic) Limited: Registered on 20 December 2021, Evolve Housing (Vic) Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Evolve Housing Limited, a Tier-1 Community Housing Provider under the National Regulatory System for Community Housing. It plans to develop and operate social and key worker affordable housing.
- MCM Housing Limited: Registered on 22 December 2021, MCM Housing Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Melbourne City Mission (MCM). It provides long-term affordable housing for young people with wraparound support services provided by MCM.
- Assemble X HCA HA Ltd: Registered on 18 March 2022, Assemble X HCA HA Ltd is a special purpose vehicle set up through a joint venture partnership between Assemble and Housing Choices Australia. It intends to provide a mixed tenure of social and private housing properties.
- BlueCHPV Limited: Registered on 30 March 2022, BlueCHPV Limited is a subsidiary of BlueCHP, a Tier 1 Community Housing Provider under the National Regulatory System for Community Housing. It intends to develop social and affordable housing for households on low-to-moderate incomes experiencing housing stress, including key workers, seniors and those at risk of homelessness.
Acknowledging government’s commitments to improve housing outcomes for Aboriginal Victorians and the challenges often faced by Aboriginal housing providers, looking forward, the Registrar will continue to work closely with Homes Victoria and Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations (ACCOs) to facilitate and support the growth of the Victorian Aboriginal community housing sector.
Mergers and deregistrations
SouthEast Housing Co-operative Ltd (SouthEast) merged with Eastern Suburbs Rental Housing Cooperative Ltd (ESRHC) in January 2022. SouthEast retained its trading name and ESRHC was deregistered in June 2022. The merger intends to create efficiency, improve housing outcomes for members and better achieve housing growth for Victorians in need.
South Port Community Housing Group Inc (SPCHG) merged with Prahran/Malvern Community Housing Inc in June 2022. The new associated incorporation retained SPCHG’s name and was registered on 13 July 2022. The merger intends to create efficiency, increase support to vulnerable cohorts of low-income singles and provide greater opportunities for staff.
The registered sector as at 30 June 2022
Under the Act, the Registrar can categorise a registered agency as a housing association or a housing provider based on the level of regulatory risk associated with a registered agency’s operations, including the size of a registered agency, its plan for growth at scale and the complexity of its operations.
Housing associations are assessed as having an increased level of risk due to the scale and scope of their operations and are generally larger, more complex registered agencies, whereas housing providers are assessed as having a lower level of risk within their operations and range in size from smaller to medium-sized registered agencies.
- Aboriginal Housing Victoria Limited
- Common Equity Housing Ltd
- Community Housing (Vic) Ltd
- Housing Choices Australia Ltd
- Loddon Mallee Housing Services Ltd
- (trading as Haven; Home, Safe)
- HousingFirst Ltd
- Rural Housing Network Ltd (trading as BeyondHousing)
- Wintringham Housing Ltd
- Women’s Housing Ltd
- Unison Housing Ltd
- Assemble x HCA HA Ltd
- Baptcare Affordable Housing Ltd
- BAYSA Ltd (trading as Barwon Youth)
- BlueCHPV Limited
- Building Communities (Vic) Limited
- CatholicCare Victoria Housing Limited1
- EACH Housing Ltd
- Eastcoast Housing
- Evolve Housing Vic Ltd
- Inner East Social Housing Group Ltd
- Launch Housing Ltd
- Mallee Accommodation and Support Program Ltd
- MCM Housing Limited
- Mission Australia Housing (Victoria)
- National Affordable Housing Consortium – Vic Ltd
- Northcote Rental Housing Co‑operative Ltd
- Northern Geelong Rental Housing Co‑operative Ltd
- Prahran/Malvern Community Housing Inc2
- Salvation Army Housing (Victoria)
- Servants Community Housing Ltd
- South Port Community Housing Group Inc
- SouthEast Housing Co‑operative Ltd3
- St Kilda Community Housing Ltd
- Sunshine/St Albans Rental Housing Co‑operative Ltd
- The Haven Foundation Ltd
- United Housing Co‑operative Ltd
- Uniting Housing (Victoria) Ltd (trading as Uniting Housing)
- VincentCare Community Housing
- WAYSS Ltd
- West Turk Housing and Elderly Services Co‑operative Ltd
- Williamstown Rental Housing Co‑operative Ltd
- Women's Property Initiatives Ltd
- YWCA Housing
- Centacare Housing Services changed its name to CatholicCare Victoria Housing Limited on 27 July 2022.
- The merger between Prahran/Malvern Community Housing Inc and South Port Community Housing Group Inc (SPCHG) was approved by Special General Meetings of both organisations on 22 June 2022. The new associated incorporation (retaining South Port Community Housing Group Inc name) was registered on 13 July 2022.
- SouthEast Housing Co-operative Ltd merged with Eastern Suburbs Rental Housing Cooperative Ltd (ESRHC) in January 2022 and retained its trading name. ESRHC was deregistered in June 2022.