What can you complain to us about?

The Local Government Investigations and Compliance Inspectorate accepts complaints about council operations and breaches of the Local Government Act 1989.

This may include issues such as:

  • corruption
  • misuse of position
  • conflict of interest
  • disclosure of confidential information
  • distribution of unauthorised electoral material.



The Inspectorate's investigations team is responsible for investigating allegations of offences under the Act.

The Inspectorate may examine or investigate any matter relating to council operations and breaches of the Act involving a councillor, a senior council officer and any individual subject to the conflict of interest provisions within the Act; or any individual where the matter relates to electoral provisions.

Complaints or allegations can be made by any individual.

Where appropriate, complaints should first be raised with the relevant council before a complaint is lodged with the Inspectorate.

Due to the volume of complaints received and the often complex nature of investigations, the investigation process can take some time. The Inspectorate aims to keep complainants informed of the progress of the investigation.

Visit the prosecutions page to see a list of recent court cases.


Submit a complaint

Our secure online complaint form is the easiest way to submit a complaint to the Inspectorate.

Using the form will ensure you have provided us with information vital to our assessment of your complaint.

Submit your complaint

Complaints about the Inspectorate

If the complaint relates to the outcome of a matter, a person may request a review from the Manager, Investigation and Compliance. The request should state why the complainant is not satisfied and provide evidence or information to support their position.

If the complaint relates to the conduct of Inspectorate staff, the complaint should be directed to the Chief Municipal Inspector.

If the complaint relates to an administrative decision or function of the Inspectorate, a complaint can be lodged with Ombudsman Victoria.