The Markham Avenue, Ashburton site is located 12km from the city centre of Melbourne in the City of Boroondara. The site is adjacent to parklands, close to education facilities, employment and transport.
The site previously had 56 two-bedroom dwellings in 2-storey buildings. It has now been prepared for redevelopment.
The proposed redevelopment will provide for 178 dwellings across 5 buildings designed to be accessible, safe, secure and energy-efficient.
City of Boroondara.
- Landscape is a key focus of the redevelopment. Proposed courtyards will provide generous building separation and communal open space around the buildings, including the opportunity for deep soil planting.
- A significant number of new native trees will be incorporated into the landscape character which will provide a coherent outcome across the site resulting in a great public realm.
- An accessible pedestrian connection will be provided through the site, linking Markham Avenue to Gardiner’s Creek, as part of the ‘street to creek’ design concept.
- The project promotes good design and incorporates Office of the Victorian Government Architect involvement and expertise in the development of design proposals for the site.
- Environmentally efficient design, meaning the homes will be more comfortable as well as less expensive to heat and cool carrying a 5-star Green Star rating and a 7-star NatHERS average rating.
- The redevelopment will include a range of dwellings including 1, 2 and 3 bedroom homes, responding to the changing needs of Victorian households.
- At least 5% of the new social housing homes will be easy to access for Victorians with disabilities. This includes drop-off areas, paths, lifts and car parking. Inside the home, kitchens, bathrooms and storage will also be very accessible.
Have your say
We asked for community feedback in April and May 2021 to inform our redevelopment plans.
Our online survey was open from 20 April to 18 May 2021. We also conducted 3 online community sessions during this period. Thank you to everyone who has contributed feedback.
We're now analysing your feedback and will use it to finetune the redevelopment plan.
We'll share how feedback has influenced the final redevelopment plans in our engagement report in late May - early June 2021.
Download the fact sheet
Reviewed 01 June 2021