Cyber Security Strategy25 August 2017
The Victorian Government is getting on with Victoria’s first ever Cyber Security Strategy to ensure government services and information are kept safe from cyber threats.
The Special Minister of State Gavin Jennings joined cyber experts and IT industry representatives today to launch Victoria’s Cyber Security Strategy – the first state in Australia to do so.
Government networks across the world are regularly targeted by cyber-attacks, with an increasing shift from unsophisticated lone cyber hackers towards organised criminals, political ‘hacktivists’ and even foreign governments using cyber space to infiltrate, steal from and disrupt government services.
The scale of incidents and attempted disruption is unprecedented, with the methods used to attack digital services increasing in complexity and sophistication.
The Cyber Security Strategy shifts from an agency by agency approach, to a whole of government approach, as we seek to sustain strong and resilient cyber security defences that protect the delivery of public services in Victoria.
As part of the Cyber Security Strategy, the Victorian Government will:
- appoint a Chief Information Security Officer within Department of Premier and Cabinet to oversee the government response to the ongoing cyber threats and co-ordinate cross government action
- develop cyber emergency governance arrangements with Emergency Management Victoria, so that risks are better understood and planned for as part of ongoing work to protect government assets and services
- strengthen partnerships across all levels of Government and the private sector to share best practice, intelligence and insights
- rationalise and better co-ordinate the procurement of proven cyber security services
- develop a workforce plan to attract, develop and retain skilled cyber security public sector workers
- present a quarterly cyber security briefing to the Victorian Secretaries Board and the State Crisis and Resilience Committee, so Government is better informed of cyber security issues and assessments
The strategy builds on the work being undertaken by the Victorian Government to ensure Victoria has the best new digital technology to deliver the modern services expected by the community and that these services and the citizen data they contain are resilient against cyber-attacks.
To find out more about Cyber Security Strategy and ongoing work to roll out the Information Technology Strategy 2016-2020, visit enterprisesolutions.vic.gov.au.