Oakover Road, Preston is located 9km from the city centre of Melbourne in the City of Darebin, close to hospitals, education facilities, employment and support services.
The renewal of Oakover Road, Preston will replace old housing that does not meet the needs of those who live there with well designed, attractive homes that improve the local area.
Homes Victoria is joining with development partner MAB Corporation, and registered housing association HousingFirst, to redevelop the Preston site.
City of Darebin.
- Safe and publicly accessible open and green spaces are a key feature of the redevelopment.
- Clear visual and movement linkages between the public domain such as streets, footpaths, bicycle paths, and public open spaces.
- The project will promote good design, make the most of open space and will incorporate Office of the Victorian Government Architect involvement and expertise in the development of design proposals for the site.
- The project will incorporate environmentally efficient design, meaning the homes will be more comfortable as well as less expensive to heat and cool carrying a 5-star Green Star rating and a 7-star NatHERS average rating.
- Durable, high-quality materials will be used in public spaces (including furniture, surface materials, lighting, and landscaping) to reflect the history and character of the area.
- An onsite HousingFirst office to support tenants.
- An artist's live/work studio.
- The redevelopment will include a range of dwellings including 1, 2 and 3 bedroom homes, responding to the changing needs of Victorian households.
- All new social housing homes will have a minimum Silver level certification from .
- At least 5% of the new social housing homes will be easy to access for Victorians with disabilities. This includes drop-off areas, paths, lifts and car parking. Inside the home, kitchens, bathrooms and storage will also be very accessible.
- Further information is available on the website.
In 2011, Darebin Council commenced a review of land use and built form controls along St Georges Road and in 2013 prepared the St Georges Road Urban Design Framework. The Council then prepared Planning Scheme Amendment C136, which changed the town planning controls for both Preston sites.
Development partner MAB Corporation will prepare a Development Plan for the site and Town Planning Permit Applications consistent with Planning Scheme Amendment C136 and Development Plan Overlay 11.
Community engagement is an important element of the project. The department has established a Consultative Committee for the renewal of the Preston site.
The committee brings together important community members and representatives of local organisations to provide advice on the redevelopment of the site. It enables ongoing and two-way feedback through participation with the community and the stakeholders.
Members of the committee provide advice and feedback on redevelopment plans and identify local issues and matters of concern as they arise.
Committee members will communicate the progress of the redevelopment back to their communities to support the successful delivery of the project.
The latest community newsletter has updates on the progress of this important redevelopment project in Preston:
Reviewed 01 June 2021