Background to the Authority
The Portable Long Service Benefits Authority is an independent statutory body established to administer the Long Service Benefits Portability Act 2018 (Vic) (the Act). The Act, together with the Long Service Benefits Portability Regulations 2019 (Vic) (Regulations) provides a scheme for the portability of long service benefits to eligible workers in the contract cleaning, security and community services sector.
The new scheme was created in response to the Victorian Parliament’s Economic, Education, Jobs and Skills Committee inquiry into portability of long service leave entitlements. This will enable eligible workers in the community services, contract cleaning and security industries to accrue long service benefits based on length of time employed in their respective industry as opposed to length of time employed by one employer.
The Portable Long Service Benefits Scheme is intended to bring fairness and equity to these industry workplaces in Victoria.
Delivering a quality Portable Long Service Benefits Scheme to protect the benefits of those who are entitled to them.
Administering an effective Portable Long Service Benefits Scheme in the sectors we serve by prudent, sustainable investment and supporting all stakeholders, including employers and workers alike, as well as educate and enforce every stakeholder’s role and interest in the scheme.
The Authority has adopted the Victorian Public Sector values that underpin the behaviours that the government and community rightly expect of the staff of the Authority. Expressed below is what those core values mean to the Authority. Acting consistently with these values strengthens the Authority’s capacity to operate effectively and achieve our objectives.
|Responsiveness||We are approachable and provide timely, useful and accurate information.|
|Integrity||We have unbiased and honest interactions.|
|Impartiality||We are fair and consistent in our application of the law.|
|Accountability||We fulfil our objectives in a clear, transparent and responsible manner.|
|Respect||We respect our stakeholders, each other and ourselves.|
|Leadership||We seek to have a positive influence and to empower others.|
|Human rights||We administer the law and deliver decisions, advice and policy that respect and support everyone’s human rights.|
The Authority’s primary objectives are to:
- Fulfil our legislative obligations by effectively administering and supporting compliance with the Long Service Portability Act 2018 (Vic).
- Implement effective responsible budget and investment strategies which grow levy funds and deliver long-term sustainability.
- Be clear, consistent, transparent and responsive in our stakeholder communications which encourages registration, levy payments and ensures that eligible workers and employers are aware of their rights and obligations.
- Maintain a healthy and safe workplace with a culture that encourages engaged, resilient and solution-focused staff.
- Implement an innovative, secure, resilient and integrated information technology environment that supports effective operations now and in the future.
- Protect the long-term interests of the Authority through effective regulation using governance, strategic risk management and clear policies and procedures.
Reviewed 18 February 2020