Farm Household Allowance
The Farm Household Allowance provides assistance to farming families experiencing financial hardship. This program focuses on helping farmers make important decisions to improve their long-term financial situation. The support available includes:
- a fortnightly payment for up to 4 years in each specific 10-year period
- supplementary allowances such as rent assistance, telephone and pharmaceutical allowances as well as a Health Care Card
- individual case support with a Farm Household Case Officer (FHCO)
- a financial assessment of the farm enterprise worth up to $1,500
- a $4,000 activity supplement that gives farmers an opportunity to develop skills.
Emergency Re-establishment Payments
The Emergency Re-establishment Payment is available if your home is uninhabitable for more than 7 days because of an emergency, with payments of up to $42,250 per eligible household experiencing financial hardship, who have been affected by fire at their primary place of residence
The grants will be available for clean-up, emergency accommodation, repairs, rebuilding (a principal place of residence), and replacing some damaged contents.
Re-establishment assistance is available to individuals or families who do not have building (home) insurance or contents insurance.
Disaster Recovery Payment
The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment of $1,000 per adult and $400 per child is for people who have been seriously injured, have lost their homes or whose homes have been directly damaged, or are the immediate family members of a person who has died, as a direct result of the bushfires.
People in Towong and East Gippsland are eligible for these payments.
Disaster Recovery Allowance
The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Allowance includes up to 13 weeks income support for those who have lost income as a direct result of the bushfires.
Australian Red Cross immediate assistance grants
People who lost homes, were injured and hospitalised due to the fires, or who need support to repair a primary residence can apply to Australian Red Cross for an immediate assistance grant.
People who have already received a Red Cross grant may also be eligible for the new Red Cross additional support grant if they are still facing financial hardship.
Funding to help school children
Support is available for eligible families with students in government and non-government schools from the impacted local government areas.
Support will cover uniform items including school shoes, books and stationery, and other items that kids need to use at school.
Financial counselling is available for anyone affected by the bushfires.
Your financial counsellor can help you to:
- understand your government income and other entitlements
- access relief for utility bills and other payments
- negotiate with your bank on debt issues
- identify if your insurance outcome is fair and appropriate
- provide you with options and can advocate on your behalf.
In East Gippsland
Anglicare Bushfire Financial Counselling:
In the North East
Upper Murray Financial Counselling:
The program services the Ovens Murray, Murray and Hume regions.
We want to make sure you have all the support and advice you need to help you navigate the planning and rebuilding process.
In East Gippsland Shire
In Towong Shire
Community Recovery Contacts
Reviewed 20 April 2021