SummerTech LIVE is matching Victorian business digital technology needs with innovative tertiary students over the summer, to solve technology problems and support digital economic transformation. The program operates as a paid 10-12 studentship, during the students’ summer break.
SummerTech Live was created in response to students, educators and industry feedback that businesses are looking increasingly for ‘T-shaped’ skills - a combination of strong technical knowledge, problem solving, critical and creative thinking and communication skills. As a result of this broadening of expectations, digital technology graduates face challenges in securing entry-level jobs, with employers often wanting a level of skill and depth of experience that graduates cannot offer.
SummerTech LIVE program for Round Three will focus on engaging regional education partners and attracting more regional SMEs and students.
If you are a business or an educational institute and you want to know more, please contact email@example.com
If you are student and you’re interested in participating, please contact your supervisor.
Why get involved in SummerTech LIVE?
Businesses if you want to accelerate technology adoption and leverage innovative ICT solutions to improve your operations, register to be a SummerTech LIVE host business. Participating Victorian SMEs have the opportunity to increase digital capabilities and competitiveness.
Education institutes if you are looking for new ways to develop longer term relationships between SMEs and industry, to grow the number of job-ready graduates register your interest.
Students if you want to improve your professional skills and gain experience solving real world problems via digital solutions, sign up for SummerTech LIVE via your education institute.
How does it work?
- Complete and submit the application form via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assessment of all applications will be undertaken by the SummerTech LIVE panel
- Selection will depend on available resources, skills match and project fit
- If successful, a meeting between the business and the allocated tertiary institution and is required to finalise Project Scope and allocation of the team
- This should include objectives, milestones and details of the technical problem scope
- Grants agreements between the Victorian Government and tertiary institute be executed
- Project commences
- 27 August 2018 - Applications open
- 9 October 2018 - Applications close
- 22 October 2018 - Education and SME partners advised
- 9 November 2018 - Project scope confirmed, students recruited and submitted
- 23 November 2018 - Grant Agreements signed by both parties
- December - January 2019 - Projects commence
- 30 March 2019 - Projects completed
- April 2019 - Final reports submitted
- April 2019 - SummerTech LIVE Showcase
For more information please download the Guidelines/FAQ:
Apply if you are a business
Apply if you are a TAFE or University
Highlights to date
Over two rounds, around 100 students, 70 projects and 55 business partners have participated in the program.
As a result of participating in the program:
- students gained employment (full-time and ongoing part-time)
- students were offered internships
- students have gone on to do masters and/or PhD
- students reported an improvement in ‘soft skills’ as well as their applied technical skills
- SMEs have gained new knowledge and increased their capability and competitiveness creating digital transformation
- SMEs have progressed with product development
- SMEs and education partners have collaborated on other innovative projects.
Examples of projects:
- development of data matching algorithms
- secure digital-business demonstration system
- integration of telecommunication protocols
- data analytics CMS platform
- website and brand redevelopment
- cybersecurity network architecture
- machine learning
- augmented and virtual reality interface
- internet of things (IoT) analysis
- research into health and education user interfaces
#STL showcase 2017 and 2018
Over the summers of 2017 and 2018, participants shared their experiences and challenges at the SummerTech LIVE showcase. Students were presented with certificates to recognise their contribution.
Video: SummerTech LIVE 2018
Video: SummerTech LIVE 2017 - Round one pilot (full presentation)
Video: SummerTech LIVE 2017 - Round one pilot (interviews)
For further information please email: email@example.com