Talk to someone

When you’ve experienced something like a bushfire, talking can help. Find the right person or organisation to start with, whatever your needs might be.

If you or someone else is in danger, call 000

If there is an immediate threat to life or health, either for you or someone else, call 000 immediately. The operators are here to help.

Talk to Bushfire Recovery Victoria

Bushfire Recovery Victoria’s team of locally based staff can help you navigate the range of information and support services available for people in bushfire-affected communities.

Call us

To find out about the information and services available to you, call 1800 560 760.

Visit a Community Recovery Hub

Community Recovery Hubs provide local access to vital services in Victoria’s bushfire-affected communities. Hubs can link you to practical support, planning and rebuild advice, case support and support for non-profits and businesses.

Find your nearest hub.

Talk to someone about how you're feeling

Talk to someone who understands how bushfires affect wellbeing 

Experiencing an event like a bushfire can have unique impacts on the way you think and feel. A specialist can give you support in managing those thoughts and feelings.

  • To access the Bushfire Recovery Case Support Program, call 1800 560 760. Recovery Support Workers can link you to a range of vital services, including mental health supports.
  • If you’d like to speak to a counsellor who understands bushfire recovery, up to 10 sessions are available free of charge. To arrange this, call 1800 001 068 or email
  • Beyond Blue has a range of resources for people affected by bushfires.
  • You can also call Lifeline Bushfire Recovery on 13 43 57.

Call someone, anytime

Sometimes you just need to talk. Helplines are a great way to get things off your chest and plan out some next steps. All of the numbers below are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Talk to someone about family violence

Family violence, sometimes called domestic violence, can affect people of any age, background, socioeconomic status or walk of life. Family violence includes physical, emotional, financial, psychological and sexual abuse.

If you or someone you know needs support or information, call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732). 

If you are in immediate danger call 000; if you are needing support in a crisis, call Safe Steps on 1800 015 188.

If you are concerned about your use of violence or potential to use violence call the Mens Referral Service on 1300 766 491.

You can also find a range of information at Family Violence Victoria, including Orange Door, which helps people experiencing family violence.  

Talk to someone about disability support  

If you, or someone you care for, are under 65 and live with a permanent disability that affects your ability to take part in everyday activities, you may be eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

NDIS participants can get support from the National Disability Insurance Agency once they are out of immediate danger. Call 1800 800 110 for more information. 

Talk to someone about support for older people

If you are an older person requiring support at home, you may be eligible for government-funded aged care services.

For more information, visit My Aged Care or call 1800 200 422.

Talk to someone about your property 

Get help with planning, rebuilding, housing and other matters about your property. 

Contact Rebuilding Support Services:

Reviewed 25 May 2021

Was this page helpful?