The Walker Street, Northcote site is located 6km from the city centre of Melbourne in the City of Darebin. The site is close to education facilities, employment and transport.
Homes Victoria is joining with development partner MAB Corporation, and registered housing association HousingFirst, to redevelop the Walker Street, Northcote site.
City of Darebin.
- A greater range of housing options for those wishing to make their home in Northcote.
- A pedestrian path along the Merri Creek, subject to Darebin Council approval.
- A modern and adaptable community room suitable for a range of activities, including an artist’s work studio.
- Safe and publicly accessible open and green spaces are a key feature of the redevelopment.
- Clear visual and movement linkages between the public domain such as streets, footpaths, bicycle paths, and public open spaces.
- The project will promote good design, make the most of open space and will incorporate Office of the Victorian Government Architect involvement and expertise in the development of design proposals for the site.
- The project will incorporate environmentally efficient design, meaning the homes will be more comfortable as well as less expensive to heat and cool carrying a 5-star Green Star rating and a 7-star NatHERS average rating.
- The redevelopment will include a range of dwellings including 1, 2 and 3 bedroom homes, responding to the changing needs of Victorian households.
- All new social housing homes will have a minimum Silver level certification from .
- At least 5 per cent of the new social housing homes will be easy to access for Victorians with disabilities. This includes drop-off areas, paths, lifts and car parking. Inside the home, kitchens, bathrooms and storage will also be very accessible.
- Further information is available on the website.
In 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services undertook a town planning process (known as a Planning Scheme Amendment) to enable the site to be redeveloped.
The application was considered by the Social Housing Renewal Standing Advisory Committee and a report provided to the Minister for Planning.
The Minister for Planning has considered the Standing Advisory Committee's recommendations and approved Planning Scheme Amendment C180 to the Darebin Planning Scheme.
On 29 March 2018, the Minister for Planning approved Amendment C180 to the Darebin Planning Scheme. The amendment applied Development Plan Overlay 13 to the site.
Development partner MAB Corporation is required to prepare a Development Plan for the site and Town Planning Permit Applications consistent with Planning Scheme Amendment C180 and Development Plan Overlay 13.
Community engagement is an important element of the project. The department has established a Consultative Committee for the renewal of the Northcote site.
The committee brings together important community members and representatives of local organisations to ensure effective communication throughout the site renewal. It enables ongoing and two-way feedback through participation with stakeholders and the community.
Members of the committee provide input and feedback on redevelopment plans and identify local issues and matters of concern as they arise.
Committee members will communicate the progress of the redevelopment back to their communities to support the successful delivery of the project.
The latest newsletter updates from the Northcote site:
Reviewed 01 June 2021