What you can do if you're not eligible for the NDIS

Find services and support available for people with disability, who are not eligible for the NDIS.

Other services and support available

If you have applied for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and are not eligible, there are other services and supports available to you.

Check if you are eligible

Support for people who are not eligible

Complain or appeal a decision

If you think a decision the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) has made about you is wrong, you can:

People aged over 65

Victorians over 65 years of age are not eligible for the NDIS.

If you were receiving specialist disability services before, you will continue to get the same services through the Commonwealth Continuity of Support (CoS) Programme. 

You can request changes to your supports through your service provider as your needs change.

Find more information on the Commonwealth Government’s website.

Eligibility for Continuity of Support

To be eligible for the Commonwealth CoS Programme you must be:

  • a person with disability
  • 65 years or over when the NDIS commences in your area or
  • an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person aged 50 to 64 years who is assessed and ineligible for the NDIS
  • receiving specialist disability supports funded by the department in the last 12 months


If you live in disability accommodation or respite operated by the Victorian Government, you won't need to move.

You will receive information about your transition to the Commonwealth CoS Programme by June 2020. This includes residents that have or will transfer to the 5 non-government providers.

Until then, Victoria’s existing quality and safeguards arrangements apply.

Aids and equipment

The Victorian Government will continue to provide subsidised items of aids and equipment, including continence products to:

  • people over 65 years of age 
  • people under 65 years of age with health-related conditions

If you already have aids and equipment provided through the Victorian Aids and Equipment Program, you can continue to use the items until you either no longer need them or they no longer meet your needs.

If you need new or different aids and equipment, visit the Victorian Aids and Equipment Program website for information on how to apply.

For people receiving individualised funding under the Commonwealth CoS Programme, you are able to use this funding to lease or buy aids or equipment if:

  • they are urgently needed 
  • the purchase is already included in your Service Agreement before transition to the Commonwealth CoS Programme
  • Victoria’s scheme does not supply the required aids or equipment, or the scheme does not fully fund the purchase of the required aid or equipment

Reviewed 19 August 2019

Was this page helpful?