JavaScript is required

150 years: Baillieston State School

Learn about the history of Baillieston State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Nagambie, 3608
1 June 1866
23 December 1943
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Coy's Diggings Common School, Coy's Diggings State School

The history of Baillieston State School

  • 1866

    The school opened as a common school in 1866. It was called Coy's Diggings at the time. 

    The first head teacher was Mrs E. Mann. 

    The schoolhouse was made from slab-cut timber (slab hut) with a bark roof. A small head teacher's house was attached.

  • 1870s

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

    By 1873 the average number of students attending the school was between 23 and 29.

  • 1882

    The number of students enrolled at the school had grown to 68 by 1882.

    A new and larger wooden schoolhouse was built and the head teacher lived in the old school building.

  • 1886

    The number of students attending the school had dropped to an average of 40 to 50.

  • 1903

    The name of the school changed to Baillieston State School.

  • 1943

    Baillieston State School closed in 1943.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.