JavaScript is required

150 years: Morse's Creek State School

Learn about the history of Morse's Creek State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Wandiligong, 3744
1 December 1872
13 April 1894
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Not available

The history of Morse's Creek State School

  • 1870s

    Morse's Creek opened as a common school in 1872. The first head teacher was William Austin. He was the head teacher for 16 years and he built his own four-room house.

    Classes were held in a timber schoolhouse with a shingle roof.

    The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.

  • 1894

    Morse's Creek State School closed in 1894. The students moved to Wandiligong State School (No. 275). The schoolhouse was later sold and moved elsewhere.

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.