- Daylesford, 3460
- 26 June 1871
- 21 April 1955
- School type:
- School number:
- Other names:
- Dry Diggings Common School, Dry Diggings State School
The history of Mount Franklin State School
This school opened as a common school in 1871. It was originally called Dry Diggings and it replaced Dry Diggings School (No.725), which closed in 1869.
The first head teacher was Henry Humffray.
There were 40 students when the school opened.
The timber schoolhouse had a shingle roof and pine floor. It had been moved from Dry Diggings School.
There were 77 students at the school in 1873.
A house was built for the teacher in 1874. It had 4 rooms, a veranda, and a shingle roof.
The school became a state school at some stage between 1873 and 1878.
There were 14 students attended the school in 1917.
The name of the school was changed to Mount Franklin State School.
The teacher's house was sold and moved elsewhere.
The schoolhouse had become very run down. It was sold and moved elsewhere. It was replaced by the schoolhouse from Tarilta State School (No. 641).
Mount Franklin State School closed in 1949 because there were not enough students.
The school reopened in 1950 but was unstaffed in 1951 because there were not enough students.
Mount Franklin State School closed in 1955.
Find more interesting facts about this school
The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.
Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.