JavaScript is required

150 years: Wareek and Timor State School

Learn about the history of Wareek and Timor State School, one of Victoria's oldest public schools.

Key information

Maryborough, 3465
1 April 1869
31 December 1943
School type:
School number:
Other names:
Lower Wareek Common School, Timor West State School

The history of Wareek and Timor State School

  • 1869

    The school opened as a common school in 1869. It was called Lower Wareek (No. 949) when it opened.

    The first head teacher was Michael Maroney.

    The schoolhouse had unlined walls, an iron roof and a fire-place. Over time the inside walls were plastered, and a porch veranda and water tanks were added.

  • 1870s

    A house for the head teacher was built in 1870.

    There were around 120 students at the school in 1873.

    The school became a state school sometime between 1873 and 1878.

    The school was renamed Timor West in 1874.

    The school grounds were fenced. Trees were planted in the playground in 1875.

    The school changed its name again to Wareek and Timor in 1879.

  • 1912

    The size of the school ground was expanded by taking ‘half a chain' from the road. A ‘chain' is an old way of measuring length and half a chain is around 10 metres. This additional land was planted with trees.

  • 1943

    Wareek and Timor State School closed in 1943. The small number of students moved to Timor State School (No. 1207).

Find more interesting facts about this school

The Public Record Office Victoria (PROV) is the archive of Victoria's State and local government. They look after some of our oldest school records, and we can use these records to help us understand what school life used to be like.

Now it's your turn to do some detective work. PROV currently only have paper records for this school. Take a look to see what info they have on this school.