The Victorian Independent Remuneration Tribunal (Tribunal) was established in 2019 by the Victorian Independent Remuneration Tribunal and Improving Parliamentary Standards Act 2019 (VIRTIPS Act) to support transparent, accountable, and evidence-based decision-making in relation to the remuneration of elected officials and public sector executives in Victoria.
To date, the Tribunal has made Determinations setting the value of:
- salaries and allowances for Members of the Parliament of Victoria
- remuneration bands for executives employed in public service bodies
- remuneration bands for executives employed in prescribed public entities.
On 6 April 2020, the VIRTIPS Act was amended to require the Tribunal to make a Determination setting the value of the amount of the allowance payable to Mayors, Deputy Mayors and Councillors (Council members) and providing for Council allowance categories.1
Council members are elected every four years to represent their municipal community.
The Local Government Act 2020 (Vic) entitles Council members to receive an allowance in accordance with a Determination of the Tribunal.2
On 17 June 2021, the Minister for Local Government, in consultation with the Minister for Government Services, formally requested the Tribunal to make the Determination for Council members. This request was made under section 23A(4) of the VIRTIPS Act.
In July 2021, along with this consultation paper, the Tribunal published on its website a notice of intention to make the first Determination of allowances for Mayors, Deputy Mayors and Councillors.
The VIRTIPS Act provides that the Tribunal’s first Determination on local government takes effect on the day after the expiry of the period of six months after the Tribunal receives the request from the Minister for Local Government’.3 Therefore, the first Determination will take effect on 18 December 2021.
This consultation paper:
- sets out the matters the Tribunal proposes to consider in making the Determination
- invites interested persons or bodies to make a submission to the Tribunal on these or other relevant matters
- includes specific questions the Tribunal would particularly like to see addressed in submissions.
- VIRTIPS Act, s23A(1) and (2).
- Local Government Act 2020 (Vic), s39.
- VIRTIPS Act, s23A(4).
Reviewed 09 July 2021