Established in 1923, the ARBV administers the Architects Act 1991 (‘the Act’) and Architects Regulations 2015 .
The Act establishes the framework for the regulation of architects in Victoria and has as its purposes to:
- provide for the registration of architects
- provide for the approval of partnerships and companies providing architectural services
- regulate the professional conduct of architects
- provide a procedure for handling complaints against architects
- regulate the use of the terms 'architect', 'architectural services', 'architectural design services' and 'architectural design'
- establish the Architects Registration Board of Victoria.
The ARBV's vision is for a well-designed, liveable and safe built environment for Victorians.
We will engage, educate and regulate to ensure architectural services in Victoria are delivered according to high professional standards and contribute to improved building outcomes for the benefit of the community.
Services for architects in Victoria
Victoria's architects use the ARBV to:
- register as an individual architect in Victoria
- seek approval for their company or partnership
- understand their compliance requirements.
Services for the Victorian community
The Victorian community can use the ARBV to:
- understand what architects do and their professional responsibilities
- make a complaint about an architect's professional conduct.
Our core functions
Responsible for registration related activities including assessing and determining applications for registration. Find out more about pathways to registration with the ARBV.
Complaints and Investigation
Responsible for administering compliance obligations set out in the Architects Act 1991. Find out more about conduct responsibilities for Victorian architects.
Architecture accreditation program
One of the ARBV's responsibilities is to accredit architectural programs in Victoria, including courses and programs delivered by universities.
To register as an architect in Victoria, you must have completed an accredited architecture program.
View the list of accredited architectural in Australia and New Zealand.
The ARBV's work is underpinned by seven values:
- Human rights.
Our organisational structure
Reviewed 07 September 2022