Study school teaching as a postgraduate student

The options, costs and scholarships available for studying postgraduate school teaching courses in Victoria.

Teaching is a career brimming with opportunity and reward. With recent investment in the industry, there’s never been a better time to change direction and become a school teacher.

Changing direction to begin a career in school teaching

There are a range of pathways to becoming a teacher. The best option for you depends on your individual situation. Many courses can also be completed part-time and/or online. This flexibility allows you to fit in study alongside work commitments.

School teaching degrees often require direct application to the relevant university or other higher education provider.

Pathways into teaching for career changers

There’s more than one pathway into teaching. If you’re thinking about changing careers, watch the video to learn more.

Use your previous studies or vocational experience to become a teacher

You could become a teacher within 18-24 months by studying a postgraduate teaching qualification, tapping into your previous studies or vocational experience. Entry requirements vary and are set by the higher education providers.

You can complete a postgraduate teaching degree in 18 - 24 months with support of:

  • A government-funded scholarship, and
  • Paid employment in a government school while you study

These are offered through the Victorian Government funded Teach Today and Teach Tomorrow programs.

Costs involved with studying teaching

The cost of a postgraduate teaching course is set by the higher education providers. It can vary each year. To find out the exact cost of each teaching course, it’s best to check with the providers directly.

If you enrol in a course with Commonwealth Supported Places, you may be eligible for HECS-HELP to pay for your studies. To find out if you’re eligible, visit Commonwealth supported places.

Scholarships for people enrolling in school teaching degrees

There are a range of scholarships that can support you with the cost of studying and living while you study.

These scholarships are available to all Victorian students, including Victoria-based permanent residents, whether the Victorian secondary teacher education program you are starting is undergraduate or postgraduate.

Further payments are available if you work in a Victorian government secondary or specialist school setting for two years after you graduate.

The total amount available matches the standard student fees for a Commonwealth Supported Place in a secondary teacher degree.

Visa and migration requirements to study teaching

If you’re overseas and plan to study teaching in Australia, you’ll need a visa.

To find out more, visit Studying in Australia.