Study teaching as an undergraduate

The entry requirements, costs and scholarships for studying undergraduate teaching courses in Victoria.

If you’re thinking about a career in teaching, there are many ways to make that a reality. Here's how you can study and become a teacher if you don’t have an undergraduate degree already.

Applying to study teaching

There are many pathways into studying teaching as an undergraduate. Whether you have recently finished year 12, or took some time off from studying, or you are looking for a career change.

Getting into a Victorian teaching degree if you have recently completed Year 12

You should apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) if you have recently graduated from year 12 with a relevant secondary school qualification.

The ATAR you need to study teaching

If you’ve recently completed year 12, you’ll need an Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) of:

  • at least 70, or
  • the equivalent of 70 after access and equity considerations.

If you did not get an ATAR of at least 70, some providers offer alternative pathways. Find out if your preferred provider offers this and how to apply through their website.

Getting into a teaching degree as a mature age student or career changer

You might be a mature age student if:

  • you decide to enrol later in university study in life because you didn’t complete year 12 and didn’t get an ATAR,
  • you have had a break from studying if you did complete year 12, or
  • you are changing careers.

Most teaching degree providers consider anyone over the age of 21 as a mature aged student. But this does vary depending on the provider.

You may be eligible to claim recognition for prior study or work experience. You can apply for this through your chosen course provider. This could mean you can graduate sooner.

Check with course providers to find out:

  • the exact course prerequisites,
  • what study or work experience they recognise, and
  • how to apply for each course.

Costs involved with studying teaching

The cost of studying a teaching course depends on the individual teaching degree provider. It can also vary each year. To find out the exact cost of each teaching course, it’s best to check with the providers directly.

If you enrol in a Commonwealth Supported Place in a teaching degree, you may be eligible for HECS-HELP support with fees. To find out more about Commonwealth Supported Places and if you’re eligible, visit Commonwealth supported places.

Scholarships for people enrolling in secondary school teaching degrees

If you enrol in a Victorian secondary school teaching degree for the first time in 2024 or 2025, you may be eligible for a Victorian Government scholarship that pays you while you learn.

The scholarships are available to all Victorian students, including Victoria-based permanent residents. If you work in a Victorian government secondary or specialist school setting after you graduate, further payments are available.

To find out more, visit Scholarships for secondary teaching degrees.

Visa and migration requirements to study teaching

If you’re overseas and plan to study teaching in Australia, you’ll need a visa.

To find out more, visit Studying in Australia.