JavaScript is required

Information for workers - English

Portable long service for Victorian workers in the community services, contract cleaning and security industries

1. What is Long Service Leave?

In Australia, workers are entitled to paid annual leave.

After a working for the same employer for a long period of time, those workers are entitled to additional leave.

This additional leave is called long service leave.

2. What is Portable Long Service Leave?

In addition to traditional long service, Victoria offers portable long service benefits for eligible workers in the community services, contract cleaning and security industries.

The Portable Long Service Benefits Scheme allows eligible workers to build up long service entitlements based on time spent in their industry, rather than with a single employer.

This means that, from 1 July 2019, eligible workers can keep their portable long service leave entitlement even if they work for different employers over the years.

That is why it is important that you check your annual statement and make sure your contact details are always up to date.

 Go to the worker portal at to check your statement and information.

3. How did I become registered for portable long service?

From 1 July 2019 eligible employers in the community services, contract cleaning and security industries are required to register with the Portable Long Service Authority (Authority). Your employer must also register their eligible workers with the Authority.

4. Does the work I performed in the community services, contract cleaning or security industry before registration count towards my service periods?

The Scheme started on 1 July 2019 and applies to work performed after that date.  Any traditional long service leave you are entitled to continues to be managed by your employer.

5. How much will it cost?

There is no cost for you to be a registered worker with the Authority. Each quarter, your employer will report your hours of service and wages to us and pay a levy.

6. What if I have more than one employer?

If you work in the same industry for many employers, each employer must register you for the Scheme.

If you work in more than one of the industries covered by our Scheme – contract cleaning, community services or security – we will issue you with a separate Worker ID for each industry you are employed in.

You can provide all your employers with your Worker ID to help your employers register you correctly.

If one of your employers has not registered you, you should contact them to make sure they are aware of the Scheme.

7. What happens if I change employer?

If you change employer in the same industry, provide your new employer with your Worker ID and they will start making contributions to your portable long service leave.

8. What do I need to do?

  • Make sure your contact details are correct. Using your Worker ID, go to the Worker Portal to register for online access.
  • Check your annual statement and make sure the information is correct. You can access your annual statements via the Worker Portal at any time.
  • If you believe your service is not recorded correctly please contact the Authority.

Log into the worker portal

Through the portal you will be able to track your employer contributions, current portable long service benefits under the Scheme, update your address and phone number, and access your annual statements.

How to contact us

If you would like to speak to someone at the Authority, please call 1800 517 158, email or visit our website

Free Interpreting Service

If English is not your first language, Authority staff can speak to you with the help of a free interpreting and translation service. Contact us on 1800 517 158.