Victoria government logo

Licensed venues that supply alcohol for consumption on-site are required to provide free drinking water.

The responsibility is on the licensee to ensure adequate facilities are provided. Substantial fines may apply for non-compliance.


Licensees may apply to us for an exemption to their mandatory requirement to provide free water.

We have discretion over which applications are approved, and determine each application on its own merits. However, under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998External Link , we must consider:

  • the risk of harm arising from the misuse and abuse of liquor supplied under the licence, and
  • the extent of the burden imposed on the licensee by the requirement to supply free drinking water.

For example, an exemption may be granted where the licensee doesn’t have access to mains water and the lack of free drinking water won’t lead to alcohol-related harm.

If you wish to apply for an exemption, you can download the exemption request form below.

This poster is available for licensees to download that advises patrons that the venue provides free water. It can be displayed in your venue.

See the optional signage for licensed premises on the Print my liquor signage page for more information.

Reviewed 02 April 2023


Was this page helpful?