Grants - understanding in-kind contributions

Many grants request a co-contribution from applicants. ‘In-kind’ support is often accepted as an alternative. This includes donated goods, services or volunteer work to support a project.

What is an in-kind contribution?

An in-kind contribution is a contribution of a good or a service other than money.

Some examples include:

  • voluntary labour (for example, painting work)
  • donated goods (for example, kitchen equipment)
  • donated services (for example, professional advice from an architect)

How do you calculate your in-kind contribution?

The calculation of your in-kind contribution is based on your best estimates.

The following figures may help guide you:

  • calculate volunteer general labour at $20 per hour
  • calculate volunteer specialist labour (for example, engineer or architect) at $45 per hour
  • calculate donated goods at the price you would pay for them if they were not donated

Example of how to calculate your in-kind contribution

Goods/service to be provided Organisation/Supplier Number of Hours Rate per hour Total Value
Architectural drawings Smith Consulting 10 $45 $450
Labour to paint the new community hall – 5 people Members of XYZ community organisation 10 $20 $200
Donation of new kitchen equipment Commercial Kitchens Ltd n/a n/a $4000
Total $4650

Do you need to provide evidence of in-kind contributions?

In-kind contribution calculations

If you have in-kind contributions that count towards your organisation’s funding contribution for an activity, you may be asked to outline in-kind contributions as part of your application:

  • as part of budget proposed in the application form (all applications)
  • as a completed In-Kind Contributions Worksheet submitted with your application form (requested only for funding categories where minimum matched contributions apply, such as community infrastructure)

To help you with evidence of in-kind contributions, download the:

In-kind contributions received

You do not need to submit written records of in-kind contributions received for your activity. However, it is your organisation’s responsibility to keep written records (e.g. letter of donations or receipts) of the in-kind support committed or received. These records should be available upon request by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship.

Further information

For more information contact or call 1300 366 356.

Reviewed 12 November 2019

Was this page helpful?