Worker information - portable long service

Check if you're eligible and find out how to register for the scheme and claim long service benefits.

The portable long service benefits scheme allows workers in community services, contract cleaning and security to build up long service leave, even if they change employers but remain in the same industry.

Joining the portable long service scheme

Your employer will register you with the Portable Long Service Authority when they lodge the quarterly return in October.

When your registration is complete, you will receive a welcome pack in the mail. This will include your membership number and instructions on how to access the online worker portal.

You can use your membership number to log in to the Authority's online worker portal and update your details. You'll also be able to sign up to receive emails or SMS notifications.

Each quarter (in January, April, July and October) your employer will submit a quarterly return to the Authority reporting how many hours you have worked and your rate of pay.

This information will be used to calculate the levy your employer pays to the Authority. The levy your employer pays will be used to pay your long service benefit when you become eligible.

Am I an eligible worker?

Frequently asked questions

Checking your balance

You can login to check your balance or update your details at any time. After each quarterly return is lodged, you will be able to check your balance.

Each November an annual statement will be sent to you with details of your long service credit balance.

Claiming your portable long service

Each quarter, long service credits will be added to your balance based on the hours you worked and the rate of pay you received.

When you have enough credits, usually after at least 7 years of service, you will be able to apply for your long service benefit to be paid to you.

Reviewed 09 October 2019

Contact us

Portable long service enquiries

Sign up to the portable long service e-newsletter

Keep up to date on the scheme. Sign up to the Portable Long Service Authority e-newsletter.

Please view our collection notice under the Portable Long Service Authority heading on our privacy page

Sign up
Was this page helpful?