Victoria government logo

Portable long service in the security industry

Information for businesses employing security workers and how portable long service applies.

What is security work?

Under the Portable Long Service Benefits Scheme the security industry is where security activities are undertaken by people licensed or registered under the Private Security Act 2004.

This includes both Class A and Class B Security Services.

Class A Security Services

These services require a license and include:

  • acting as an investigator
  • acting as a bodyguard
  • acting as a crowd controller
  • acting as a security guard (including while exercising control over a dog, while armed with a firearm, while unarmed and collecting/transferring/delivery cash or valuables while armed)
  • the protecting, guarding and watching of any property by monitoring or operating a security system
  • acting as a private security trainer.

Class B Security Services

These services require registration and include:

  • the installation, repair, service or maintenance or security equipment and systems such as camera systems, audio systems, audio or visual recording systems, alarms and alarm monitoring systems, safes and vaults, security intrusion detectors and electric, electromagnetic, magnetic or biometric access control devices
  • acting as a security advisor.

What is not security work?

Work that is not classified as security work for the Scheme includes:

  • installing a lock as part of work as a builder
  • cutting unrestricted keys
  • operating a prison or other correctional facility
  • selling self-installing security systems.

Who is a security employer?

Victorian employers that are engaged in the security industry and employ at least one other person to undertake security work, must register with the Portable Long Service Authority.

This includes employers that employ workers to perform security work on behalf of another organisation engaged in the security industry.

Learn more about employer obligations

Contract workers

Self-employed workers performing security work for another person or organisation can choose to register for the Scheme. They will be required to meet employer obligations and will receive entitlements to portable long service benefits as a result.

Who is not an employer?

The following are not employers for the Scheme, even if they have workers performing security work:

  • federal or state government departments or agencies
  • local governments or other public statutory bodies
  • entities with a governing body appointed under an Act of the Commonwealth of the State.

Who is a security worker?

From 1 October 2020 to be eligible for portable long service in the security industry, workers must be employed by an employer for the Scheme as outlined above, and the worker's predominant activity of their substantive role (not acting role or secondment) must be security work.

Eligible workers include apprentices, casuals and any individuals with employment agreements requiring them to learn security work.

Learn more about worker entitlements

Who is not eligible for portable long service?

Workers registered with CoINVEST from 1 January 2022 may be eligible to register for portable long service if one of the following circumstances apply:

  1. The CoINVEST levy is no longer being paid by an employer (and the worker remains on the CoINVEST register); or
  2. The CoINVEST levy is being paid by an employer and the worker also performs work for an employer in the covered industry

For example, in the second scenario, where a worker is employed by an employer registered with CoINVEST in the construction industry and also employed by an employer in the security industry, they may be eligible for portable long service with the Authority for the security industry work.

Workers employed by employers that don’t meet the requirements for registration with the Authority are not eligible for portable long service, even if they are undertaking security work.

Employer obligations

Registered employers must submit quarterly returns to the Authority in October, January, April and July each year.

Quarterly returns are completed through the employer portal and employers will need to provide details for all eligible workers during the reporting period, including:

  • the hours worked and ordinary pay received by each worker
  • any long service leave taken by a worker
  • workers who stopped working for the business.

Based on this information, a levy will be calculated that employers must pay. This levy will cover the cost of future portable long service claims by eligible workers.

Learn more about quarterly returns

Case studies and examples

  • Safety Service Pty Ltd provides security guards to guard commercial office buildings.

    The guards are employed directly by Safety Services Pty Ltd, and are licensed to perform this work under the Private Security Act 2004.

    Safety Services is an employer for the scheme and must register and begin submitting quarterly returns for their workers.

  • Christine works for the City of Boroondara protecting, guarding and watching the Town Hall.

    The City of Boroondara is a municipal council.

    Outcome: As a municipal council, the City of Boroondara cannot be an employer for the scheme. Christine is not eligible for portable long service.

  • Yum Diner operates a restaurant and function centre. They employ a security guard to protect the premises who is licensed under the Private Security Act 2004.

    As a restaurant and function centre, Yum Diner Pty Ltd is not engaged in the security industry and cannot be an employer for the scheme. Their security guard is not eligible for portable long service unless they were self-employed and registered as a contract worker.

  • Rahul works full-time as a licensed security guard for Eye-Spy.

    However, he leads a team of security guards and only occasionally, once-a-fortnight, works as security guard.

    Outcome: Rahul is not performing security work, as security work is not his predominant activity. Rahul is not an eligible worker under the Scheme.

Reviewed 10 May 2022

Was this page helpful?