Employer information - portable long service

Find out how to register your business and workers, submit quarterly returns and pay the levy.

Employer online portal

Log in to the portal

Through the Authority’s online portal employers can update their details, submit quarterly returns, view invoices and pay their levy.

How to register your business

From 1 July 2019, businesses with workers in:

  • community services
  • contract cleaning
  • security

must register with the Portable Long Service Authority.

This registration must be completed between 1 July and 30 September 2019 for established businesses.

New businesses must register within 3 months of establishment.

Businesses will be required to provide the following information as part of the registration process:

  • business name
  • business address
  • Name and contact details of a primary contact
  • ABN or ACN (if applicable)
  • The type of work your business does
  • the date you started employing workers in the industry in Victoria

Businesses may be contacted by phone by the Authority to confirm information provided in the registration application.

Businesses will receive information about their registration application via email and a 'welcome pack' containing a letter advising of the outcome of their application. By mail you will receive a certificate of registration and industry information.

Registration of workers will be completed as part of the quarterly return. The first quarterly return needs to be submitted in October 2019.

There is no cost to register with the portable long service authority, however businesses may be required to pay a levy as part of their quarterly return every 3 months.

Register your business

Assistance with registration

If you require assistance with your registration, please contact the Authority on 1800 517 158 or e-mail

Lodging your quarterly return

All registered employers are required to lodge a quarterly return to the Portable Long Service Authority every 3 months, starting in October 2019 and each year after that.

This means you must lodge every 3 months during these times:

  • from 1 to 31 October
  • from 1 January to 31 January
  • from 1 April to 30 April
  • from 1 May to 31 July

The first quarterly return, to be submitted in October 2019, will require registered employers to register all workers for the first time. For employers joining the scheme at a later date, they will register workers as part of their first quarterly return.

This can be done via the online portal which you will be able to access online from October 2019.

The quarterly return will include information about:

  • all eligible workers who have worked for the employer during that quarter
  • the hours they have worked
  • the ordinary pay they received during the quarter
  • any long service leave they have taken under another arrangement
  • details of any worker terminated during the quarter

When a quarterly return is lodged, an invoice will be issued to the business to pay the employer levy.

How to pay the employer levy

The employer levy will need to be paid once the registered employer receives their invoice from the Authority.

The levy can be paid via the portal by BPay and must be made within 14 days.

How the levy is calculated

The levy was determined by the Authority’s Governing Board on 9 May 2019 as follows:

  • 1.65% for community services
  • 1.80% for contract cleaning
  • 1.80% for security

The Portable Long Service Benefits Authority is responsible for the administration and operation of the Scheme. They will liaise with employers to ensure they understand their obligations under the Long Service Benefits Portability Act 2018 and how the levy will be applied.

Overdue returns

If you are unable to meet the due date for a return, please contact the Authority before the due date to request an extension of time. If your extension of time is approved, you will be advised of your new confirmed due date.

Employer contributions when a worker moves interstate

If a worker moves interstate, they may be able to make arrangements with that state or territory to transfer their portable long service. As the Authority enters into agreements with other states and territories the details of these agreements will be made available.

All employer levy payments remain with the Authority until a claim is made by an employee.

The industries covered by portable long service schemes in other states and territories include:

  • Queensland (QLD) - Building and Construction and Contract Cleaning
  • New South Wales (NSW) - Building and Construction and Contract Cleaning
  • Australian Capital Territory (ACT) - Building and Construction, Contract Cleaning, Community Services and Security
  • Tasmania (TAS) - Building and Construction
  • South Australia (SA) - Building and Construction
  • Western Australia (WA) - Building and Construction
  • Northern Territory (NT) - Building and Construction

Records each business needs to keep

Businesses need to keep the following records:

  • the worker's name and date of birth
  • the nature of the work performed by the worker
  • the worker's ordinary pay for each quarter
  • the number of hours worked by the worker in each quarter
  • the date when the worker began service with the employer
  • long service benefits given to the worker under this Act, another Act, a corresponding law or a fair work instrument, including - long service leave granted to, or taken by, the worker payments for, or in lieu of, long service leave made to the worker
  • any other long service benefits paid or given to the worker
  • if the worker stops service with the employer - the date the worker stops service

National companies with workers in Victoria

National businesses with workers who don't live in Victoria but perform work in Victoria still need to register.

Employer contributions when a worker is absent

If a worker leaves the industry for more than 4 years, they will lose access to their accrued benefits.

Employer contributions when a worker becomes self-employed

If a worker becomes self employed, they can join the scheme as a contract worker and start making their own contributions.

When they become eligible, they can make a claim.

Frequently asked questions

Reviewed 08 October 2019

Contact us

Portable long service enquiries

Sign up to the portable long service e-newsletter

Keep up to date on the scheme. Sign up to the Portable Long Service Authority e-newsletter.

Please view our collection notice under the Portable Long Service Authority heading on our privacy page

Sign up
Was this page helpful?