- Priority area: Communication
- Primary audience: Educators
- Delivery mode: Group training, online, resources (books, kits, manuals)
- Strength of evidence: Level 6 – Supported by expert opinion
- AEDC sub-domains:
- Language and cognitive development – interest in literacy/numeracy and memory
- Language and cognitive development – basic literacy
- Item cost: Moderate ($200–$2,000 per item) to High (>$2,000 per person/item)
This 2.5-hour online live professional learning workshop covers the latest neuroscience on the developing brain and offers practical strategies for increasing literacy-rich daily practices to enhance the language and literacy skills of very young children. It emphasises the importance of building strong relationships with children and families, focusses on effective strategies for oral language development in the early years, and gives practical tips for planning group and story time sessions.
The workshop covers the latest research on early childhood brain development, how early language and literacy skills develop, and provides a wide range of practical tips to build confidence in choosing and using books and songs in group time sessions with children.
Topics covered in the online training include:
- Overview of current neuroscience research on early childhood development, particularly pertaining to literacy
- Overview of national relevant resources such as Australian Early Development Census (AEDC), the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF)
- Understanding and implementing rich everyday literacy across all early childhood settings, programs and teaching
- Practical session/s sharing role-modelling of successful Story Time skills (planning sessions, book and song selection, using props and music, hints and tips on reading aloud, conversations with children, extending books with play and sensory opportunities, etc.)
- Effective techniques in sharing information and key messages with parents/carers
- Story Time/Play Time resources (book lists, Learning Time and Activity Time templates, songs and rhymes and parent tip sheets).
Workshop: $400 per person (including GST and freight and handling for resources kit) for 2–2.5 hour online interactive workshop.
An Educators Resource Kit, certificate of attendance will be provided. Each participant will also receive follow-up online documentation such as a copy of PowerPoint slides and lists of resources at no additional cost.
A flat fee for services may be available upon request for over 20 participants.
Payment is required before attending.
- Program/practice description and details: this workshop is offered as a 2.5-hour live online session via Zoom. Certificates of attendance will be issued.
- Scheduled events/workshops/training sessions: workshops are offered regularly every term. Registrations into scheduled training sessions are welcome from individuals or from a team of staff. Sessions can also be scheduled especially for centres requiring training for all staff or large numbers of staff. This can be negotiated to suit your staff availability. Please contact Raising Literacy Australia to discuss scheduled dates and times.
- Current best implementation knowledge: when teams of educators attend a workshop together and use the range of resources, tools and supports, they are able to work more effectively on intentional daily literacy practices as a team around the child.
- Tools and systems (e.g. resources, information technology requirements): access to Zoom and a strong internet connection.
Item uses these practice principles
Item responds to these sub-outcomes
- Children interact verbally and non-verbally with others for a range of purposes
- Children engage with a range of texts and get meaning from these texts