- Priority area: Wellbeing (social and emotional)
- Primary audience: Educators
- Delivery mode: Resources (books, kits, manuals)
- Strength of evidence: Level 5 – Foundational research evidence
- AEDC sub-domains:
- Emotional maturity – anxious and fearful behaviour
- Emotional maturity – aggressive behaviour
- Emotional maturity – hyperactivity and inattentive behaviour
- Social competence – responsibility and respect
- Item cost: No upfront cost
Connections is a practical and reflective resource to guide early childhood educators in supporting children's mental health and wellbeing. It is intended for use by educators who care for young children in a range of settings, including kindergarten services.
Target population: early childhood educators.
Program/practice descriptions and details: the resource supports educators to:
- develop a shared understanding and language about mental health and wellbeing in early childhood
- feel more comfortable and confident discussing children's mental health with families and other early childhood professionals
- promote positive mental health in all children
- support children and families.
Factors to consider: this resource includes questions at the end of each section that support group reflection. Consider using these to support professional learning discussions in team meetings.
Item uses these practice principles
- Reflective practice
- Partnerships with families
- High expectations for every child
- Respectful relationships and responsive engagement
- Equity and diversity
- Assessment for learning and development
- Integrated teaching and learning approaches
- Partnerships with professionals
Item responds to these sub-outcomes
Children become strong in their social, emotional and spiritual wellbeing.