- Priority area: Communication
- Primary audience: Educators
- Delivery mode: Online, resources (books, kits, manuals)
- Strength of evidence: Level 6 – Supported by expert opinion
- AEDC sub-domains:
- Language and cognitive development – basic literacy
- Language and cognitive development – interest in literacy/numeracy and memory
- Language and cognitive development – advanced literacy
- Communication skills and general knowledge
- Item cost:No upfront cost
This toolkit provides practical advice about the learning and teaching of language and literacy skills. It features high-quality integrated teaching and learning approaches and key information to improve outcomes for all children in early childhood settings. Resources include written advice, in-depth learning experience plans, and videos of exemplary practice.
- Target population: early childhood educators.
- Staffing: services should consider the cost of backfill when determining the cost of accessing this resource.
- Factors to consider: consider how staff might share practice knowledge with others at the service, and how improved approaches or innovative ideas could be implemented across the service.
- Tools and systems: reliable internet access needed.
Item uses these practice principles
- Reflective practice
- Partnerships with families
- High expectations for every child
- Respectful relationships and responsive engagement
- Equity and diversity
- Assessment for learning and development
- Integrated teaching and learning approaches
- Partnerships with professionals
Item responds to these sub-outcomes
- Children begin to understand how symbols and pattern systems work
- Children engage with a range of texts and get meaning from these texts
- Children interact verbally and non-verbally with others for a range of purposes
- Children express ideas and make meaning using a range of media