The following page provides data for July to September 2021 in relation to the various offences detected by the road safety camera system and the fines (infringements) associated with those offences.
Top 10 road safety cameras for infringements issued
|Camera site||Number of infringements issued|
|At the intersection of Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, Heidelberg (N) - Lane 1, 2, 3||11,552|
|At the intersection of Fitzroy Street and Lakeside Drive, St Kilda - Lane 1, 2, 3||4,973|
|At the intersection of Warrigal Road and Batesford Road, Chadstone - Lane 1, 2, 3||4,341|
|At the intersection of Flinders Street and William Street, Melbourne - Lane 1, 2, 3||3,747|
|At the intersection of North Road and Clayton Road, Oakleigh East - Lane 1, 2, 3||3,495|
|At the intersection of Whitehorse Road and Surrey Road, Blackburn - Lane 1, 2, 3, 4||3,146|
|At the intersection of King Street and La Trobe Street, West Melbourne Lane - 1, 2, 3, 4||3,112|
|Western Ring Road, Sunshine West, Southbound, Boundary Road North Side Gantry - Lane 4||3,066|
|At the intersection of Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, Heidelberg (S) - Lane 1, 2, 3||3,044|
|At the intersection of Terminal Drive and Centre Road, Melbourne Airport - Lane 2, 3, 4, 5||2,867|
- The road safety camera at the intersection of Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, Heidelberg recorded the most infringements. The number of infringements recorded at this camera decreased by 11 per cent from the previous quarter.
Top 10 mobile road safety cameras for infringements issued
|Camera site||Number of infringements issued|
|Kensington Road, Kensington between Dynon Road and Devon Street.||1,930|
|Ballarat Road, Footscray between Geelong Road and Jamieson Avenue.||1,545|
|Edward Road, Chirnside Park between Chirnside Drive and Sunset Drive.||1,376|
|Heaths Road, Hoppers Crossing between Derrimut Road and Mossfiel Drive.||1,296|
|Pascoe Vale Road, Jacana between Western Ring Road and Johnstone Street.||1,271|
|Reynolds Parade, Pascoe Vale South between Brearley Parade and Princes Terrace.||1,232|
|Warralilly Boulevard, Armstrong Creek between Horseshoe Bend Road and Ambarella Way.||1,213|
|Mickleham Road, Westmeadows between Broadmeadows Road and Alanbrae Terrace.||1,080|
|Tucker Road, Bentleigh between Centre Road and Patterson Road.||977|
|Black Forest Road, Wyndham Vale between Brimpton Grove and McGrath Road.||905|
Victoria's mobile camera program is comprised of a network of mobile road safety cameras operating approximately 15,900 hours per month. Victoria Police has approved around 2,000 locations across Victoria.
Total infringements for speeding and red-light offences
|Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2021-22||283,908|
|Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2020-21||336,011|
|Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2020-21||212,658|
Infringements detected by both fixed and mobile cameras:
- increased by 33.5 per cent compared to the same period last year (July to September 2021)
- decreased by 15.5 per cent from the previous quarter (April to June 2021).
Speeding infringements (fixed and mobile cameras)
|Speeding categories||Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2021-22||Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2020-21||Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2020-21|
|Exceed speed by less than 10km/h||201,254||236,313||150,019|
|Exceed speed by 10km/h but less than 15km/h||42,896||47,702||31,007|
|Exceed speed by 15km/h but less than 25km/h||16,048||16,865||11,670|
|Exceed speed by 25km/h but less than 30km/h||1,560||1,613||1,353|
|Exceed speed by 30km/h but less than 35km/h||679||761||549|
|Exceed speed by 35km/h but less than 40km/h||415||424||334|
|Exceed speed by 40km/h but less than 45km/h||207||226||204|
|Exceed speed by 45km/h or more||272||224||222|
|Exceed speed by more than 20km/h in 110km/h zone||48||120||52|
Speeding infringements detected by both fixed and mobile cameras:
- increased by 34.7 per cent compared to the same period last year (July to September 2021)
- decreased by 13.4 per cent compared to the previous quarter (April to June 2021).
Total infringements for red light offences
|Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2021-22||20,529|
|Q4 (Apr - Jun) 2020-21||31,763|
|Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2020-21||17,248|
Red light infringements detected by road safety cameras:
- increased by 19 per cent compared to the same period last year (July to September 2021)
- decreased by 35.3 per cent from the previous quarter (April to June 2021).
Red light infringements attract high penalties and three demerit points due to the serious nature of crashes at intersections.
Financial year overview
- 2021-22 statistics
- 2020-21 statistics
- 2019-20 statistics
- 2018-19 statistics
- 2017-18 statistics
- 2016-17 statistics
- 2015-16 statistics
- 2014-15 statistics
Overview of statistics available
Compares data on the number of vehicles that pass a road safety camera with infringements detected.
Data and graphs presenting the trends in speeding and unregistered vehicle fines for each highway camera system in Victoria.
Shows the number of fines and official warnings issued by Victoria Police for speeding, red-light and unpaid toll offences, including specific data for:
- Official warnings vs fines
- Speeding categories – fixed and mobile cameras
- Speeding categories – highway cameras
Includes quarterly and yearly lists of the top road safety camera locations by total number of fines issued, including specific data for:
- Top 50 cameras
- Top 20 cameras – speed offences
- Top 20 cameras – red-light offences
- Fines ($) by camera and system
Issue date vs offence date
- Infringements may not be issued on the date the offence was detected. However, the infringement notice will include both dates, the date that the offence occurred (offence date) and the date the infringement notice was issued (issue date), depending on the purpose of the data.
- The issue date is always after the offence date. In the case of road safety cameras this is because of the rigorous verification procedures undertaken to ensure the validity of the infringement notice.
- All data on the Cameras Save Lives website is based on the offence date, unless otherwise indicated.
- Offences detected in one quarter may not have an infringement issued until the next quarter.