The following page provides data for October to December 2021 in relation to the various offences detected by the road safety camera system and the fines (infringements) associated with those offences.
Top 10 road safety cameras for infringements issued
|Camera site||Number of infringements issued|
|Western Ring Road, approximately 1600 metres west of Sydney Road, Broadmeadows - Lane 3||12,579|
|At the intersection of Rosanna Road and Darebin Street, Heidelberg (N) - Lane 1, 2, 3||9,892|
|Western Ring Road, approximately 1600 metres west of Sydney Road, Broadmeadows - Lane 4||9,765|
|Western Ring Road, approximately 1600 metres west of Sydney Road, Broadmeadows - Lane 1||7,384|
|At the intersection of Fitzroy Street and Lakeside Drive, St Kilda - Lane 1, 2, 3||6,681|
|At the intersection of King Street and La Trobe Street, West Melbourne - Lane 1, 2, 3, 4||5,556|
|Western Ring Road, approximately 1600 metres west of Sydney Road, Broadmeadows - Lane 2||5,027|
|At the intersection of North Road and Clayton Road, Oakleigh East - Lane 1, 2, 3||3,656|
|Kensington Road, Kensington - Mobile||3,409|
|Park Street, Parkville - Mobile||3,323|
- Infringements increased for all Top 10 fixed camera locations this quarter, with the exception of Rosanna Road.
- Infringements recorded by fixed cameras along Rosanna Road were down 60 per cent from the previous quarter.
Top 10 mobile road safety cameras for infringements issued
|Camera site||Number of infringements issued|
|Kensington Road, Kensington between Dynon Road and Devon Street||3,409|
|Park Street, Parkville between McVean Street and Dollman Street||3,323|
|Mitchell Street, Maidstone between Hampstead Road and Rosamond Road||1,938|
|Ballarat Road, Footscray between Geelong Road and Jamieson Avenue||1,687|
|Warralily Boulevard, Armstrong Creek between Horseshoe Bend Road and Ambarella Way||1,600|
|Heaths Road, Hoppers Crossing between Derrimut Road and Mossfiel Drive||1,364|
|Barkly Street, West Footscray between Summerhill Road and Ashley Street||1,331|
|Black Forest Road, Wyndham Vale between Brimpton Grove and McGrath Road||1,309|
|Essex Street, West Footscray between Blandford Street and Ashley Street||1,084|
|Great Ocean Road, Lorne between Erskine River and Stirling Street||1,077|
Victoria's mobile camera program is comprised of a network of mobile road safety cameras operating approximately 15,900 hours per month. Victoria Police has approved around 2,000 locations across Victoria.
Total infringements for speeding and red-light offences
|Q2 (Oct - Dec) 2021-22||371,952|
|Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2021-22||283,908|
|Q2 (Oct - Dec) 2020-21||319,859|
Infringements detected by both fixed and mobile cameras:
- increased by 16.3 per cent compared to the same period last year (Oct to Dec 2020)
- increased by 31 per cent from the previous quarter (Jul to Sep 2021).
Speeding infringements (fixed and mobile cameras)
|Speeding categories||Q2 (Oct - Dec) 2021-22||Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2021-22||Q2 (Oct - Dec) 2020-21|
|Exceed speed by less than 10km/h||256,592||201,254||222,339|
|Exceed speed by 10km/h but less than 15km/h||58,028||42,896||48,078|
|Exceed speed by 15km/h but less than 25km/h||22,651||16,048||17,099|
|Exceed speed by 25km/h but less than 30km/h||1,686||1,560||1,543|
|Exceed speed by 30km/h but less than 35km/h||769||679||663|
|Exceed speed by 35km/h but less than 40km/h||408||415||389|
|Exceed speed by 40km/h but less than 45km/h||241||207||186|
|Exceed speed by 45km/h or more||251||272||230|
|Exceed speed by more than 20km/h in 110km/h zone||47||48||103|
Speeding infringements detected by both fixed and mobile cameras:
- increased by 17.2 per cent compared to the same period last year (Oct - Dec 2020)
- increased by 29.3 per cent compared to the previous quarter (Jul - Sep 2021).
Total infringements for red light offences
|Q2 (Oct - Dec) 2021-22||31,279|
|Q1 (Jul - Sep) 2021-22||20,529|
|Q2 (Oct - Dec) 2020-21||29,229|
Red light infringements detected by road safety cameras:
- increased by 7.01 per cent compared to the same period last year (Oct to Dec 2020)
- increased by 52.3 per cent from the previous quarter (Jul to Sep 2021).
Red light infringements attract high penalties and three demerit points due to the serious nature of crashes at intersections.
Financial year overview
- 2021-22 statistics
- 2020-21 statistics
- 2019-20 statistics
- 2018-19 statistics
- 2017-18 statistics
- 2016-17 statistics
- 2015-16 statistics
- 2014-15 statistics
Overview of statistics available
Driver compliance rates
Compares data on the number of vehicles that pass a road safety camera with infringements detected.
Data and graphs presenting the trends in speeding and unregistered vehicle fines for each highway camera system in Victoria.
Fines by category
Shows the number of fines and official warnings issued by Victoria Police for speeding, red-light and unpaid toll offences, including specific data for:
- Official warnings vs fines
- Speeding categories – fixed and mobile cameras
- Speeding categories – highway cameras
Fines by location
Includes quarterly and yearly lists of the top road safety camera locations by total number of fines issued, including specific data for:
- Top 50 cameras
- Top 20 cameras – speed offences
- Top 20 cameras – red-light offences
- Fines ($) by camera and system
Frequently asked questions
Issue date vs offence date
- Infringements may not be issued on the date the offence was detected. However, the infringement notice will include both dates, the date that the offence occurred (offence date) and the date the infringement notice was issued (issue date), depending on the purpose of the data.
- The issue date is always after the offence date. In the case of road safety cameras this is because of the rigorous verification procedures undertaken to ensure the validity of the infringement notice.
- All data on the Cameras Save Lives website is based on the offence date, unless otherwise indicated.
- Offences detected in one quarter may not have an infringement issued until the next quarter.
Reviewed 01 May 2023