- Priority area: Wellbeing (social and emotional)
- Primary audience: Educators, parents/carers
- Delivery mode: Group training, consultancy, coaching, online, face-to-face
- Strength of evidence: Level 4 – Emerging research evidence
- AEDC sub-domains:
- Emotional maturity – anxious and fearful behaviour
- Emotional maturity – aggressive behaviour
- Emotional maturity – hyperactivity and inattentive behaviour
- Social competence – responsibility and respect
- Item cost: Moderate ($200–$2,000 per person/item) to High (>$2,000 per person/item)
Understanding and Applying Trauma and Attachment Theory in the Early Years from Therese Raulin & Associates provides individual or group expert consultation and/or training for early childhood educators and professionals, parents/caregivers, and families.
The emphasis for the program is on embedding an understanding of trauma-informed practice, secure attachment and mental health, and the delivery of resources and programs to improve social and emotional wellbeing of children.
Through the application of a trauma and attachment lens to case examples, maladaptive trauma and attachment behaviours are analysed to understand their likely origin according to trauma and attachment theory. This information then informs the most effective strategies and response to support the child to reach for or return to a normal developmental trajectory. The 4 attachment styles are explored in detail along with their different features and presentations.
Understanding and Applying Trauma and Attachment Theory in the Early Years is a tailored consultation and training service that builds on the capacity of early childhood professionals, educators, and parents/carers to understand and identify the impact of trauma and attachment difficulties on childhood development (e.g., physical, physiological, psychological, social, emotional) and associated challenging behaviours. The consultation and training program is delivered by a Child Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist with many years’ experience working with trauma and attachment difficulties in educational settings, the out-of-home care sector, and private practice.
- Consultation tailored to individual service requirements: $800 per hour (excluding GST)
- Professional learning sessions for small and large groups: Starting from $198 per person (excluding GST)
- Training program tailored to individual service requirements: $4,800 per day (excluding GST) or $2,400 per half-day (excluding GST).
- Target population: educators, parents/caregivers.
- Program adaptability: the consultations and training programs are tailored to meet the current level of knowledge and learning needs of participants and can be adapted with ease to address a local priority or goal. Consultations and training programs are also accessible online.
- Staffing: services should consider the cost of backfill in determining the cost of accessing this resource.
- Supervision/coaching: supervision/ support is available for individuals and services who participate in the consultations and/or training program to process the impact of working closely with trauma and protect them from harm caused by vicarious trauma. Stand-alone supervision can be offered to support early childhood professionals.
- Tools and systems: an appropriate training space is required for in-person training. Services will need access to a PC with reliable internet access for video/tele-conferencing consultation or training.
Item uses these practice principles
- Reflective practice
- Partnerships with families
- High expectations for every child
- Equity and diversity
- Partnerships with professionals
Item responds to these sub-outcomes
Children become strong in their social, emotional and spiritual wellbeing.