- An independent Victims of Crime Commissioner formally established through the Victims of Crime Commissioner Act 2015.
- Royal Commission into Family Violence report delivered.
- Victorian Law Reform Commission’s report on the Role of Victims of Crime in the Criminal Trial Process released.
- Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse report delivered.
- Intermediary Pilot Program commenced.
- Family Violence Restorative Justice Service launched.
- Victorian Law Reform Commission’s review of the Victims of Crime Assistance Act 1996 completed.
- First ever dedicated Minister for Victim Support appointed.
- National Redress Scheme commenced.
- Victims and Other Legislation Amendment Act 2018 commenced to implement several recommendations of the Role of Victims of Crime in the Criminal Trial Process review.
- The expanded powers of Victims of Crime Commissioner commenced to support systems’ accountability to victims of crime.
- Comprehensive review of the victim services system conducted by RMIT University’s Centre for Innovative Justice delivered.
- Amendments to the Victims of Crime Assistance Act 1996 commenced to assist address the backlog at the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT).
2021-22 State Budget
- Record investment of $64.5 million in the State Budget to further address the VOCAT backlog, build the new Financial Assistance Scheme, establish a new Victims Legal Service and transition the Intermediary Program from a pilot to an ongoing service.
- Deliver the new Victim-Centred Restorative Justice Program.
- Implement the new Victim Support Outcomes Framework.
- Promote availability of the Victims Register.
- Deliver the Virtual Court Support Program.
- Consult with Aboriginal victims of crime on a strategy for addressing their specific needs.
- Provide safe and inclusive services for LGBTIQA+ victims of crime and a gender diverse victim support workforce by achieving and maintaining Rainbow Tick accreditation.
- Establish the new Financial Assistance Scheme in consultation with victims of crime.
- Deliver the new Victims Legal Service for applicants of the new Financial Assistance Scheme and victims seeking restitution and compensation orders.
- Transition from VOCAT to the new Financial Assistance Scheme.