Victoria has procedures for managing a terrorist attack. These are similar to how we respond to natural disasters.
Victoria Police leads the initial response, helped by other services such as:
- emergency services
- health services
- local governments
- local businesses and communities
Sometimes we may ask for support from other states or the Commonwealth Government.
In case of an incident, we focus on:
- preventing injuries and reducing loss of life
- preventing property damage and disruption to infrastructure (such as power and water)
- investigating the threat or act
- identifying and detaining offenders
- providing immediate support to affected people
After an incident, we begin planning for recovery immediately. It's important to help people resume their normal day-to-day activities.
Any terrorist attack in Victoria will cause strong reactions. These will be physical, mental, emotional or behavioural. Psychological impacts and recovery may continue for months, if not years.
Children and young people often react to trauma in ways that surprise their parents and teachers.
How to find information during an incident
Follow these communication channels for warnings and information during a terrorist incident:
Likelihood of a terrorist incident
Reviewed 11 January 2022