Distance: 770km via Wangaratta, Bright, Omeo and Mount Beauty
This incredible route offers a wealth of sightseeing and hiking opportunities across the roof of Victoria.
Mansfield is an easy two-hour drive from Melbourne.
This is an authentic mountain hut constructed for the 1982 film The Man from Snowy River.
Stop at Wangaratta to explore the bush where the King and Ovens rivers meet. Then, head along the Great Alpine Road. This will take you to the beautiful mountain towns of and . Set aside time to drive up to Mount Buffalo and the for amazing views, the old chalet, Lake Catani and the sights of the Buffalo Plateau.
Explore the grassy plains and snow gums at the top of the Great Dividing range and hike along the ridge to nearby Mount Feathertop.
Here, you can explore the Alpine Walking Track, visit high country huts, see the historic buildings and the Oriental Claims area, fish for rainbow trout in the Mitta Mitta River and follow the Omeo Plains Settlement Drive.
Head north on the Omeo Hwy and turn off on the Bogong High Plains Road. Sections of this road are challenging but it was sealed in 2009. It's a road less travelled for alpine visitors past Mount Bogong, Victoria’s highest peak, to Falls Creek Alpine Resort and . The road is a great way to see parts of the Alpine National Park.
The Bogong High Plains Road is subject to seasonal closures. Check conditions before you leave.
From Mount Beauty, it’s a relaxed drive through rolling dairy pastures to Wodonga.
Before you go remember to:
- download the VicEmergency app and tune into the local emergency broadcasters
- keep 1.5 metres from anyone you don’t live with
- carry a fitted face mask to wear in large retail premises or if you’re in a crowd
- get tested and isolate at your accommodation if possible if you have any coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms while you’re away
- book ahead or have a plan B in case your destination is at capacity
- never leave a campfire unattended, and always extinguish them with water rather than soil
- shop local and support our Victorian businesses and producers, and
- keep up-to-date on public health information at
Reviewed 14 April 2021