- Priority area: Communication, wellbeing (social and emotional), access and inclusion
- Primary audience: Educators
- Delivery mode: Not applicable
- Strength of evidence: Not applicable
- AEDC sub-domains:
- Language and cognitive development – basic literacy
- Language and cognitive development – advanced literacy
- Communication skills and general knowledge
- Emotional maturity – anxious and fearful behaviour
- Emotional maturity – aggressive behaviour
- Emotional maturity – hyperactivity and inattentive behaviour
- Social competence – responsibility and respect
- Physical health and wellbeing – physical independence
- Item cost: Moderate ($200–$2,000 per person/item)
The 'Backfill' item should be used to record when services replace existing teachers or educators, during program contact hours, with alternative staff on a temporary basis to enable teachers or educators to engage with School Readiness Funding (SRF) supports. This may include engaging in professional development, allied health sessions, coaching, reflective practice activities or consultation with parents/caregivers or other professionals such as allied health workers and family support workers.
This item may be resourced from the existing pool of staff at the service or new staff such as those sourced from relief staff agencies but must relate to the purpose above. Services will be required to record whether this item will come from existing staff or new recruitment.
'Backfill' can be used to support the implementation of an item from the SRF menu, including SRF Allied Health sessions and flexible funding items. Services must ensure that planned use of 'Backfill' is captured accurately in the SRF plan. If the 'Backfill' item is being used to support activity that is a flexible funding activity, the cost/value of the 'Backfill' must be included in 'flexible funding' costs which cannot exceed 25% of a service's total SRF allocation.
Services should estimate 'Backfill' costs in the SRF plan based on the menu items or flexible funding activity it is intended to support. This estimate should be as accurate as possible.
Costs should be based on estimated hours required and type of employment (full-time, part-time or casual) related to these activities and relevant industrial awards. Services should work with their approved provider to determine 'Backfill' costs.
As a guide, the average cost for a:
- degree-qualified educator is $421 per day (including GST)
- diploma-qualified educator is $320 per day (including GST)
- Certificate III-qualified educator is $286 per day (including GST).
- Target population: early childhood teachers and educators.
- Staffing: the practice of all staff at the service must align with the VEYLDF. When using 'Backfill' services must ensure they continue to meet minimum regulatory and kindergarten funding requirements relating to staff qualifications.
- Factors to consider: whilst 'Backfill' enables coverage for teachers and educators to participate in SRF funded activities during educational program delivery time, services should carefully consider the amount of time teachers and educators spend away from regular program delivery and any impacts this may have on children and their relationships with teachers and educators.
Item uses these practice principles
- Reflective practice
- Partnerships with families
- High expectations for every child
- Respectful relationships and responsive engagement
- Equity and diversity, Assessment for learning and development
- Integrated teaching and learning approaches
- Partnerships with professionals
Item responds to these sub-outcomes