We heard that the Best Start, Best Life reforms will be most successful if they are delivered through ongoing collaborative and trusting partnerships between government, the early childhood education sector, teachers, educators, and families.
We are committed to working together with all our partners to steward the delivery of the reforms by:
- continuing to work in partnership with the Best Start, Best Life Taskforce Advisory Group, which is chaired by the Minister for Children and includes senior representatives of stakeholder groups
- conducting further targeted consultation with the sector at key stages of the rollout
- providing information about policy and operational settings to the sector and families in relevant rollout areas in a timely manner
- monitoring implementation of the reforms and adjusting and adapting as needed.
Information for Early Childhood Education professionals
- For information to support children's learning and development, access policy and funding advice, and recruitment and career support visit Early childhood education: Information for professionals.
Information for parents and carers
- Information on Free Kinder, the Pre-Prep roll-out, Kinder Kits, and translated information, refer to Kinder.
- Find a kindergarten in your area using Find a Kinder Program.
- Please contact services or local councils directly to enquire about enrolment and register your interest.
- The Three-Year-Old Kindergarten Enquiry Line is available Mon to Fri between, 9am to 5pm on 1800 338 663 if you are experiencing difficulties accessing a kindergarten program enrolment for your child. Email: 3YO.email@example.com
- Raver, C., Knitzer, J. (2002). Ready to Enter: What Research Tells Policymakers About Strategies to Promote Social and Emotional School Readiness Among Three- and Four-Year- Old Children. Columbia University Libraries.
- Fox, S., & Geddes, M. (2016). Preschool – Two years are better than one: Developing a preschool program for Australian 3-year-olds – evidence, policy and implementation. Mitchell Institute Policy Paper No. 03/2016. Melbourne, Victoria: Mitchell Institute.
- Sammons, Pam & Sylva, Kathy & Melhuish, Edward & Siraj, Iram & Taggart, Brenda & Smees, Rebecca & Toth, Katalin & Welcomme, Wesley. (2014). Effective Pre-school, Primary and Secondary Education (EPPSE 3 – 16+) Project Influences on students' dispositions and well-being in Key Stage 4 at age 16. London: Institute of Education.
- OECD. (2015) Starting Strong IV: Early Childhood Education and Care Data Country Note. Finland.
- Pelletier and Corter (2019). ‘A longitudinal comparison of learning outcomes in full-day and half-day kindergarten’. The Journal of Educational Research: Vol 112, No 2.
- OECD (2020). Early Learning and Child Well-being in Estonia(opens in a new window), OECD Publishing, Paris.