Who is leading the change
- Department of Premier and Cabinet
The Victorian Government work with organisations it funds to provide family violence services, to improve evaluation standards by, among other things:
- ensuring that where an evaluation is anticipated or expected, resources are provided to allow for the evaluation, including funding for the evaluation itself and for the design and/or implementation of processes and systems to support data collection
- ensuring that the initial period for which a program is funded contains a period of service delivery that is long enough to support a thorough evaluation of the program
- resourcing those delivering initiatives to conduct ‘action research’ during the life of the program, so that adaptations can be made to improve data collection and service delivery
- publishing evaluation outcomes where appropriate
The Victorian Government is working with departments and funded organisations to improve evaluation standards and ensure organisations have the resources, time and expertise to evaluate programs effectively.
Funding was allocated for family violence services in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 State Budgets to meet the cost of evaluations, including action research.
Strengthening evaluation processes within organisations that receive government funding contributes to the broader uplift in monitoring and evaluation of family violence funded services and programs. Enabling funded organisations to undertake self-evaluation, or contribute to evaluation design and implementation, is crucial to building evidence and understanding of what works in preventing and responding to family violence and strengthens service design and delivery.
Victorian government departments and agencies have improved their support to funded agencies and organisations in collecting data or conducting evaluations either financially or through access to resources and tools (such as surveys). There has also been a focus on the development of Monitoring and Evaluation Frameworks with agreed measures to support a more holistic understanding of the impacts of programs across the family violence sector.
, the , alongside the outline the structure, activities and processes which contribute to the ongoing development of monitoring and evaluation capability within both government and funded organisations and agencies.
Reviewed 22 September 2021